Opinion Sought - DFX

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've gotten back into the sport after a couple of years off. My current detector is a DFX I bought used, with the 9.5, 5.3 and 18" coils. The only problem I have is the right side of the display occasionally drops out (currently working fine).

My question is - given it is out of production - how relevant a machine is it, today? I'm about to send it in for a service & don't want to invest in a dying cause. But, frankly, I can't imagine any great technological changes in machines over the past 15 years & frankly, love my DFX. I live in Alabama (read: red dirt), and have really gotten used to the machine's settings flexibility.

Thoughts?

regards
D

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still take mine out for a walk every now and then in the fields, really nice depth with my 10x12 sef coil---:icon_thumleft:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My personal opinion is not that high of the DFX. When it first came out, it was rumored to be a sort of "Whites answer to the Minelab Explorer". And since it has much more user choice control options, we had high hopes for it. But pitting it time after time after time on flagged deepies here, .... it never measured up to what the Explorers were accomplishing. Believe me, a few of us tried. But .... ya never see them being swung anymore.

I'd say it's a dated machine, and there are better machines now (and then). That's not to say that some guys still like theirs. And not to say it won't find stuff. If you're just going to casually dink around now and then, it'll suffice.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I personally liked the DFX. It's netted me more coins and finds then any other detector I've owned so far.
In my soil the depth difference between a Explorer 2 and the DFX was negligible using similar sized coils. (10" DD)

In the end I'd say it depends on you and the hunting you do. Relics? Beaches? Parks? etc.
I'd recommend checking out the V3i, which is similar to the DFX but more stable and deeper, if you want to keep to similar machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions