Original Vintage Black Americana Lawn Jockeys statues.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends, I scored these on my second sale. A pair of miniature statues about 11" tall, they have beautiful patina, and I believe that they could be from the 30s or 40s. They appear to be lamps, as there are electrical cords on the little pipe attachments. I believe that they were originally equipped with lanterns on their right hands. They are made of some type of metal, as they are heavy. I paid $3 for the pair. Please let me know if you know about them. Thank you!

artslinger Americana1.jpg Americana2.jpg Americana3.jpg Americana4.jpg Americana5.jpg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done at $3 - I would have snapped them up too.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find. Should do very well on those.

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell you much about them, but I can say that for $3, you just got a great deal.:icon_king:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that reminds me of an incident that happened to me several years ago. I was at a yard sale in a neighboring town, this area has many older homes. I was paying attention to all the goodies on the lawn (furthest from the sidewalk leading up to the porch) and out of the corner of my eye I spot this lawn jockey (at the edge of that sidewalk) in a crouched position holding out something. In my mind I was thinking that has to be old and I wonder what it was worth.

I start walking over to it and it stands up. It was a very short, older black guy and he had been holding something up at arms length to read it.

I turned around and went back to my scrounging.

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up all of these last year at a local estate sale.

They are all from the 40s and 50s.

A few of them had handwritten dates on the bottom of the year and house they were originally found.

I guess they are labeled as offensive now so they sit quietly in my shed.

Not sure what I'll ever do with them but either way at one time they were quite popular.

Heck I see some are being sold from the original molds.

20160423_192443_zps2cjnmqoj.jpg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that reminds me of an incident that happened to me several years ago. I was at a yard sale in a neighboring town, this area has many older homes. I was paying attention to all the goodies on the lawn (furthest from the sidewalk leading up to the porch) and out of the corner of my eye I spot this lawn jockey (at the edge of that sidewalk) in a crouched position holding out something. In my mind I was thinking that has to be old and I wonder what it was worth.

I start walking over to it and it stands up. It was a very short, older black guy and he had been holding something up at arms length to read it.

I turned around and went back to my scrounging.

Can't stop laughing!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

offensive only in the eyes of some people they are good collectibles

list them on ebay. might get some good prices. be sure to mention about the handwritten stuff and these are original not knockoffs.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up all of these last year at a local estate sale.

They are all from the 40s and 50s.

A few of them had handwritten dates on the bottom of the year and house they were originally found.

Not sure what I'll ever do with them but either way at one time they were quite popular.

Heck I see some are being sold from the original molds.

20160423_192443_zps2cjnmqoj.jpg

They were offensive and some folks don't mess with them...which makes les available for sale. Those are nice and would do pretty well on eBay IMO.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people don't know that the original lawn jockey was actually meant to honor the great African-American jockey Isaac Burns Murphy. The early lawn jockeys were not the stereotyped caricatures like the ones that came later and are not offensive. The lamps are actually very close to the original Isaac Burns Murphy style and are quite collectable.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have picked up a Black Americana pieces over the years at auctions and believe it or not, I have had African-American men and women purchase quite a few pieces and state that they will purchase as many original pieces as I could get as long as the price is right.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread