Ornery Yard Workers

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
:icon_scratch:

Just wanted to find out what other people's experiences are in this business. The one scrap yard I frequent is very happy to see me, the guy in the scalehouse talks to me like a normal human being. The other yard I go to, other than a handful of polite people I have never encountered so many sourpuss' in my life!

The guy in the non ferrous scale seems to be perpetually miserable and well I finally had it last week, when I showed up with my stuff this guy tore a strip off of me for this or that, he'd done this a few times in the past and I just chalked it up to him having a bad day.

Well before I left, I spoke to the general manager of the yard and he agreed with me the guy in question has no business beaking off at me and the GM was glad I brought it to his attention because he doesn't want me to go away pissed off!

It will be interesting to see what happens next time I go down there! :thumbsup:

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
Big 10-4 on the bunch of oscars that work the yards... a few years back ,I was intro a large project, the first yard I was dealling with the owner,,wow WHAT A ABSOLUTE A HOLE real journeyman richard head... I tryed again a week later thinking he may have been having a bad day,,, NOT,,,, The nex time I needed stuff I went 68 miles away, and got everything I needed,, complete with help to load it all,,, and many smiles and suggestions on how to fix stuff,,, I made very sure to let all the guys know how much I appriciated their kindness,,, and I let them know why I was so far from home,,, they said they had heard about the other guy many times before. Does anyone know where to sell platinium?? about a thimble full? pure

2Shoes

Dec 16, 2008
Wise
The closest one to me always treats you like they are doing you a favor. They are always trying to do something to get one up on ya. I usually drive a few extra mile to avoid them. At the closest one every employee there seems like they really hate their jobs.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Ai xmas I give out a dozen bottles of beer. It goes down well as it's the middle of summer where I come from.
This is shared among 3-4 guys. I get help unloading which is appreciated with my bad back and with truck batteries.
They are real friendly and give my dog a pat and a bowl of water.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
There is a book at the library that is worth a read and since it is in the public library I hope the censors on this site looks for themself at the name of the book "The no assholes rule" the book tells of how many corporations are finding these people and removing them from their employ no matter how important they think they are. Good book tells how some of these creeps are costing millions in grief to others just BC they can't manage their states effectively. Don't be surprised a lot of those people are the ones that go home and make their entire family miserable.
Some places business has to be conducted professionally and you have to be to the point sadly in the south sales clerks can't understand that a customer is just that a customer we are not here to insure you are 100% in emotional well being we are sometimes here to get what we need and get gone. When I am in line and the Clerc is yakking about this and that with another employee customer or worse on the phone waisting my time, I speak up and say no offense but I have a lot more to do please get me out of here asap. Most of the time they understand and tcb sometimes a Clerc will say something smart and I have to report this type of improper attitude.
You can convey your message even if it is a difficult subject as long as you disagree without being disagreeable.
When I encounter one of these people and they seem to be trying to make my day a bad one I do a 3 strike I A.get time location name etc write this down, B.Later Write corporate and C. follow up see what type of action has been taken.
I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything so the worse you will get out of me is silence. When I am trying to concentrate and I really don't have the time to deal with BS I will wave or give a quick nod rather than break my concentration. I need to concentrate on my work when I am busy of things go very wrong.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dingdong said:
There is 2 yards near me i will never go 2 J BASS and BROOKFIELD IN NY ILLEGALS AND REAL RUDE and no everthing about everthing 1 thing they no 4 sure the will never se me
ok i wasnt gonna say this but i had the same problem. It took 1 phone call and they dont work there noooo moooore. :dontknow:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Back 4-5 years ago when I was managing an auto salvage yard I called the local metal buyer to get prices. I got one of the new guys who felt the need to explain to me that everyone gets the same price and there would be no negotiating. So I asked to speak to his boss who I know very well, but I was having fun playing with the newbie.... Well of course he told me his boss was way too busy to be bothered with such a routine question and asked what we were talking as far as metal & quantity. When I told him I had approximately 350 TONS of #1 steel to sell he started stuttering & got the boss on the phone.. The next day they sent their trucks, their loader, a huge shear attatched to the boom of an excavator, a large electromagnet attatchment for the excavator, and their crew to do all the work and paid me MORE than the price delivered to their yard that the newbie had quoted me over the phone.. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread