tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I stayed in Coalville Utah and when I got going this morning I pulled just a little way up a dirt road to plan my route around SLC and when I got ready to get moving is when I noticed this Osprey nest on a big pole sticking up high along a small creek. I move a little closer and saw a head stick up on the top and later another Osprey came in and landed on the nest. There was another 3rd one flying around that seem to not like me there so I took a couple pictures and let them be. I think the one on the left is a young one getting just about old enough to deal with life on it's own and the one on the right is a parent that had just landed on the nest.

Attachments

• Ospreys 081208 1.jpg
    Ospreys 081208 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, those nests are as big as a beaver's lodge! I guess they use the same one year after year and just add a little addition as needed? Great photo. Not sure we have any here. If it ever cools down here, I hope to get out in the woods before hunting season starts and see what I can see. I am enjoying your trek across Colorado and Utah. Keep your eyes peeled and your camera batteries fresh!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, those nests are as big as a beaver's lodge! I guess they use the same one year after year and just add a little addition as needed? Great photo. Not sure we have any here. If it ever cools down here, I hope to get out in the woods before hunting season starts and see what I can see. I am enjoying your trek across Colorado and Utah. Keep your eyes peeled and your camera batteries fresh!
I'm willing to bet there are Osprey in your region, You need to take a little trip to the Great Lakes this fall OD. I bet there's Osprey for sure up and around there. I think pretty much were fresh water and coastal fish are they'll be an Osprey catching them around someplace in those areas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at work, and there was an Osprey building a nest on one of the tall power poles. I got to see it collect branches for the nest. It would fold its wings and rocket out of the air, then at the last second flare its wings, go past the branch, then come up from the bottom, break the branch off going up, and take it to the nest. They were always dead branches that it was able to break off, never saw it hit one to green to break.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That had to be interesting to witness. They sure do build some sturdy looking nest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread