Paint or Re-stain these chairs I just bought?

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a bunch of solid wood furniture to make nice and sell, would people buy these painted or should I stain and seal?
I know with redoing it I would need pre stain, stain and finish but with paint I could just primer and paint and not have to sand everything down to wood. I paid $5 for 2 stool chairs So i'll need to keep costs low to make profit.
What do you think is a good plan?

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN3535.JPG

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stain! I love the beauty of wood, why ruin that beauty with paint?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Strip and leave bare. Let the buyer decide how to finish, and do it themselves or pay you to do it. If they don't like the finish you chose, they may not want to have to re-strip/re-finish. Letting the buyer decide means they only have to pay once.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DECISIONS... Decisions... decisions. If this is "quality" furniture then strip and re-stain with some good coats of poly also. While using the stripper and the joints start to break apart... Ok/GOOD. Just neutralize, re-glue, stain and finish. If it's "cheap" furniture then power wash finish off, fix joints, re-stain, seal and re-sell. Nothing wrong with "naked" furniture either.... But I've been a builder of custom toy boxes for a long time and NOTHING beats a "visual" appearance (done).

I hate painted furniture.... wood look is so much richer in appearance.

Last edited:

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kitt, I suggest giving them a good sanding with an 80 grit sponge. Then another sanding with a 220 sponge. This should even out the existing finish and clean them up. Finish them with a wipe on poly or oil. These finishes can be in colors too. When you are doing the work turn them upside down and do as much as possible upside down. Then right side up to dial it in. Try doing little finishing touches like felt pads on the bottom of the legs. It's an inexpensive way to upgrade your product. People love those features and things in sets and pairs. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions