Paleo stemmed artifact

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and thanks for taking a minute to look at this. I?m unaware of the material or the type of this piece so I am not claiming it is paleo.
It seems to have a large stem that I imagine at one time was seated into a spear or arrow shaft? Or perhaps a long stem like that was more suited for tools for skinning and such?

Anyways any and all info is greatly appreciated. I?m located in south east Idaho. IMG_2618.jpg
IMG_2620.jpg
IMG_2620.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
I would say it’s a base. It could be an early stem. That’s what we call them anyway. The base does have some polish/grinding on the high parts of the flake scars. It really helps to know where the artifact was recovered. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
it looks like basalt to me, dark and non lustrous.

It looks like broad percussion flaking with little to no edge retouching.

I think a late archaic stemmed point.

I would say it?s a base. It could be an early stem. That?s what we call them anyway. The base does have some polish/grinding on the high parts of the flake scars. It really helps to know where the artifact was recovered. Pretty cool.

The artifact was recovered at a area where there is a lot of flaking and camp debris.

There is a good chance of it being one of the members belonging to the Great Basin stemmed group and being paleo in age.
As already mentioned the material appears to be basalt.

Definitely a stem to a Paleo point. Nice find! I'm not great on naming stuff from that area but Parman comes to mind but they are made a little different. Looks like it is made from basalt.

Definitely a stem to a Paleo point. Nice find! I'm not great on naming stuff from that area but Parman comes to mind but they are made a little different. Looks like it is made from basalt.

Could be a Parman but it looks a bit more like a Silver Lake or Lake Mojave to me. As Tundra stated above, the flaking is a bit different that a typical Parman but there is a huge Variety of differences in the WST points from the basin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back