Panning on National Conservation Area lands?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know I can use non-mechanical means of prospecting on Federal Wilderness Area lands but cannot file a claim. Is this also true on National Conservation Area land?

Here's a clip from the BLM website regarding the rules at one NCA in Colorado:
What types of use are NOT allowed in the Gunnison Gorge NCA?
Subject to valid existing rights, the NCA is "withdrawn from all forms of entry, appropriation or disposal under the public land laws; from location, entry, and patent under the mining laws; and from disposition under all laws relating to mineral and geothermal leasing, and all amendments thereto." This means that, except where they currently exist, the following uses/activities are not allowed within the NCA:
-Location, exploration, development and patent of mining claims
-Sand and gravel extraction activities
-Oil and gas or geothermal leasing, exploration and development
-Sale or lease of public lands for any purpose

...they are good at telling us what we CAN'T do but not so good at saying what we can do!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Johnny, I'm glad my work has been helpful to you.

This summer I'll spend most of my time travelling the state doing field research for the book. Sampling prospecting sites, driving to ghost towns, etc. should be tons of fun :) Two pans is always better than one and a little local knowledge goes a long way so I'll definitely take you up on your offer this summer if you're available when I come thru!

I'll be posting my plans on my Prospectors Journal so keep an eye out and we can sync up when the time comes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread