PayDirt?

eternity

Oct 28, 2013
Hello, folks.
I haven’t been active in a while.
I’m retired now and living in Oklahoma. It’s not very exciting here in terms of prospecting.
That brings me to my point. I need some advice. I’ve exhausted every lead in trying to find productive material to table or refine. There seems to be no source of material that is willing to offer a positive ROI.
I’m drafting a letter to Pay Dirt suppliers and I would like your opinion and suggestions. Here it is:

Pay Dirt?

This is my perception of Pay Dirt in general. First, the obvious. Pay dirt doesn’t pay. I’m not trying to offend anyone and I don’t count someone else’s money. It’s just common knowledge.

Most Pay Dirt suppliers have access to adequate supplies of High Grade materials. Otherwise, they would not be able to “Ensure” a specific amount of gold per package.

Naturally, Pay Dirt suppliers are in business to make a profit. No one questions that and I’m sure suppliers would like to increase sales.

The primary patrons of Pay Dirt suppliers appear to be hobbyists seeking entertainment and novice prospectors seeking basic panning skills. People who want to learn panning are generally content to realize less than 100% ROI.

I’m an experienced prospector with many years of experience and expensive equipment. I’m now permanently in Oklahoma, which means I’m also a potential patron.
However, I am one of very many seasoned patron prospects who find no incentive to purchase Pay Dirt and lose money.

If Pay Dirt Suppliers gave their patrons what they truly want, a positive ROI, would they not still realize a profit?
I know from my own work and experience that the time involved with refining, along with the cost of consumables, can be offset by passing those factors on to others.
As the old adage goes, Time is Money.

I would like to make you a proposition.

I’m confident that you know from experience your average yield per pound of whatever material you’re producing or providing.
Could you develop a package or bulk product that consistently yields a positive ROI? Perhaps you could offer a Membership or Contract for preferred patronage.
In this case, the patrons would also realize a profit and sales would quickly extend beyond the curious and novice prospector as word quickly gets around.

An experiment on this concept would be very revealing. I, among many others, would be a regular patron.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Paydirt is natural or created basic mineral "dirt" that has has a specific amount of gold added to fulfill the "pay" part of the paydirt offer. This is known as "salting". I don't know of any paydirt that hasn't been "salted" in this way. If the paydirt guarantees a certain amount of gold you can be sure it's been salted. If it doesn't guarantee a certain amount of gold you might reasonably expect your paydirt purchase could have no gold.

Even the best gold deposits aren't of a quality where the unprocessed and unsalted dirt can be relied on to have gold in every pound. Just not gonna happen. Gold is rare even in rich deposits. That's why it costs so much and, for most, that why we seek gold.

Where the differences in the ROI for your paydirt purchase comes is when the paydirt naturally contains some gold. Any gold already in the dirt before salting adds to the total of gold in your purchase. Some paydirt sellers use gold bearing "dirt" and then add a measured amount to each bag. It's still a gamble whether you will come out ahead on your paydirt purchase but at least there is a possibility unlike the many sellers that don't start with gold bearing dirt before salting their bags.

Obviously if someone actually had a gold deposit where every pound of material produced gold they would mine it. It wouldn't make any sense to sell the dirt from their mine that contains a profitable amount of gold, unless they were charging more for the paydirt than it was worth.

OP
OP
E

eternity

Oct 28, 2013
Paydirt is natural or created basic mineral "dirt" that has has a specific amount of gold added to fulfill the "pay" part of the paydirt offer. This is known as "salting". I don't know of any paydirt that hasn't been "salted" in this way. If the paydirt guarantees a certain amount of gold you can be sure it's been salted. If it doesn't guarantee a certain amount of gold you might reasonably expect your paydirt purchase could have no gold.

Even the best gold deposits aren't of a quality where the unprocessed and unsalted dirt can be relied on to have gold in every pound. Just not gonna happen. Gold is rare even in rich deposits. That's why it costs so much and, for most, that why we seek gold.

Where the differences in the ROI for your paydirt purchase comes is when the paydirt naturally contains some gold. Any gold already in the dirt before salting adds to the total of gold in your purchase. Some paydirt sellers use gold bearing "dirt" and then add a measured amount to each bag. It's still a gamble whether you will come out ahead on your paydirt purchase but at least there is a possibility unlike the many sellers that don't start with gold bearing dirt before salting their bags.

Obviously if someone actually had a gold deposit where every pound of material produced gold they would mine it. It wouldn't make any sense to sell the dirt from their mine that contains a profitable amount of gold, unless they were charging more for the paydirt than it was worth.
Thank you for the reply. I suppose I should just save my breath as far as sending the letter to any supplier. Unless I buy a mining claim it looks like my gold days are over. Yes, it’s fun, but I’m simply not willing to lose money over a hobby. I have plenty to do on my self reliance acreage.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Depends on where you are located. If close to AR or NM you might do better. Or look for Jesse James treasure?
Also, there is an OK thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread