Perhaps my best find ever... Nah... MY BEST FIND EVER!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Noodling around at a garage sale on Friday, and I saw the familiar Pail Blue Box. I pick it up, and sure enough, Tiffany & Co. Open the box and there is a key. I asked the price, and they said, "That's real Tiffany. $40" Put it in my pile, and eventually paid for that and some more stuff including Mont Blanc Promotional items.
AU750. 18Kt Gold with 46 Diamond chips.
key1.jpg
key2.jpg

Anyhow, That night, I showed it to my friend, and she looked it up on the Tiffany Web Site. They are still for sale, $1900.00.

I've listed it at $1700, OBO.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gasp, and Gulp! Incredible find! Not only 18kt and diamonds, but also Tiffany? Unbelievable, but believable score! Congratulations.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Major score!! Congrats!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately for your find... I am "that guy"...
You should test this... For IMO this is one of the millions of "copies"... and not real.
I say this simply for 3 main obvious reasons.

#1... stone settings.
#2. Tiffany marking is incorrect.
#3. Overall look and quality is not there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but dont feel bad... It is WAY more common to find a fake piece of Tiffany than a real one... In fact 99% of the time it will be a fake.
And all of us that have been in this for any length of time have run across a ton of this stuff.

Here is a link to the backside of what your key HALLMARK SHOULD look like if it were real.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seriously get it tested and authenticated as it doesn't quite fit as being the real deal.

The "N" on yours doesn't match as in the down stroke on the right hand side doesn't meet at the bottom.
The 2 "FF" slope up, the "A" dips below the N also the "C" is crocked and is the same size as the "O" it should be a capital "Co"
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 6.35.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 6.45.46 AM.png

Another example of a key
Notice the clean block lettering compared to your key lettering.
Note Tiffany & Co. will does not falter on the trade mark name in anyway.
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 6.50.23 AM.png

Last edited:

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if that's a counterfeit it's just a shame (and a crime). Wonder if the seller was the bad guy, or also a victim. At that listed price ARC provided you would think your seller maybe would have known the real value, but was counting on the odds that others would not.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if that's a counterfeit it's just a shame (and a crime). Wonder if the seller was the bad guy, or also a victim. At that listed price ARC provided you would think your seller maybe would have known the real value, but was counting on the odds that others would not.
I personally have seen 100's of fake Tiffany items.
99% of the time I see something "Tiffany" it is a fake.

Everything is faked... everything from laundry detergent to Rolex's and definitely everything in-between.

Sad I know.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if the seller was the bad guy, or also a victim.

I'd say the seller is the "bad guy" as he pointed out it was "Tiffany". Now, if you're smart enough to point out that it's a "Tiffany", it means you know "Tiffany " is valuable, and thus you'd be smart enough to know an authentic one is real gold and diamonds so you wouldn't be selling it for $40.00...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say the seller is the "bad guy" as he pointed out it was "Tiffany". Now, if you're smart enough to point out that it's a "Tiffany", it means you know "Tiffany " is valuable, and thus you'd be smart enough to know an authentic one is real gold and diamonds so you wouldn't be selling it for $40.00...
Very true.... there is the remote possibility the owner was also "duped"... and had no real idea... perhaps because they also paid very little for it not really knowing the real deal and its real value / cost.

but it would be a long stretch.

old texan

Sep 8, 2021
smack dab in the heart of texas
Detector(s) used
white's classic II white's dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have seen 100's of fake Tiffany items.
99% of the time I see something "Tiffany" it is a fake.

Everything is faked... everything from laundry detergent to Rolex's and definitely everything in-between.

Sad I know.
if I got stranded on an island it would be called "Gullible's Island"

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, I agree it's fake. I've bought and sold numerous Tiffany items over the past couple decades since I'm heavily involved in a local auction (and my wife is the manager of the auction house's jewelry department) I see quite a few real and fake pieces. As ARC said, 99% of pieces marked Tiffany are fake.

But it reminds me of what one of the experts at Sotheby's told me many years ago about collecting 18th century porcelain: As a collector, if you haven't bought a few fakes from time to time, you're not trying hard enough.

Reactions: ARC

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to add too much to the 'not real Tiffany' drumbeat, but the writing on the pieces on the Tiffany website is a serif font. The writing on your piece is a sans serif font.

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread