Petrified??? Help identifying strange rock

Kathleen Anne

Jan 18, 2018
Grapeview, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF5548.jpg DSCF5574.JPG DSCF5575.JPG Can anybody identify this for me? It is very large, over a foot across and about a foot and a half tall. I do not know how much depth it has, as it is part of a rock wall in my yard. This entire wall was constructed in the early 1930's, made entirely of petrified wood, quartz, and others I'm trying to identify. Thank you for your help.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece, not petrified wood, it's a micro crystalline quartz likely, agate maybe,very cool

Upvote 0

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like a conglomerate of several things cemented together i see
some banding like agate maybe, and possibley some chert and flint,
pretty cool, got any pictures of the whole wall?

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your first photo, and at the top you can see the tree rings. I am quite sure that that is a nice sized piece of opalized wood.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice agate.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd be inclined to think chalcedony, to.
But the 'glassy' luster on some would make me do a hardness test with quartz just to rule out common opal.

Common opal is scratched by quartz, chalcedony is not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kathleen Anne

Jan 18, 2018
Grapeview, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will work on getting some to post. The weather here in WA is pretty rainy right now, not good for pulling the weeds from in between the rocks so they can show their beauty. The entire wall is probably 40-50 feet long, 2 feet average in height. I really wish I'd had the chance to know the original owners and heard their story on this wall. Its obvious that they spent a lot of time on it. Its kind of a shame that its crumbling, but on the bright side I am taking the time to learn about these marvels of time and nature. Some of the smaller rose quartz and petrified wood pieces I have sold on ebay. I want to be sure that they get passed on to be enjoyed and studied by others, as I have for almost 30 years. I do have more pictures I took this weekend that I will be posting shortly.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread