sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DONT TAKE THIS FOR AN ANSWER I USE PURE LEMON JUICE DELUTED WITH WATER AND A Q TIP OR TOOTH PICK NEVER HAD A PROBLEM ,TO MUCH LEMON CONCENTRATE IS ACID AND IT WILL DESTROY YOUR FIND. BUT WAIT AND SEE WHAT THE PROS KNOW REALLY KNOWLEGABLE BUNCH ON THIS SITE,VANZUTPHEN

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice one.
It would worry me to death on how to Clean/preserve that one.
More Xanax I guess. lol

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaned my pewters with a little aluminum jelly and coated with 50/50 elmers glue and water......nice cufflink Darby

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DONT TAKE THIS FOR AN ANSWER I USE PURE LEMON JUICE DELUTED WITH WATER AND A Q TIP OR TOOTH PICK NEVER HAD A PROBLEM ,TO MUCH LEMON CONCENTRATE IS ACID AND IT WILL DESTROY YOUR FIND. BUT WAIT AND SEE WHAT THE PROS KNOW REALLY KNOWLEGABLE BUNCH ON THIS SITE,VANZUTPHEN

Thanks vanzutphin. Learned my lesson early about lemon juice with a surface find before I started detecting. It was a beautiful oval button with the Prince of Welch seal on it. Soaked it too long and it ruined it, not one bit if detail left on it! Won't ever make that mistake again! Thanks for your reply. Thanks also to Davers and jdsly. Would love to clean it and reveal some more detail but will be extra careful not to ruin it.

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still new to cleaning my finds, but do have a lot of experience with pewter clarinet keys. DO NOT BUFF OR POLISH WITH A MOTORIZED BUFFING SET UP! The small amount of heat that buffing or polishing will generate from friction is enough to melt the pewter! Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience. Early in my musical instrument repair carreer I melted an impossible to replace vintage Peddler clarinet key.

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still new to cleaning my finds, but do have a lot of experience with pewter clarinet keys. DO NOT BUFF OR POLISH WITH A MOTORIZED BUFFING SET UP! The small amount of heat that buffing or polishing will generate from friction is enough to melt the pewter! Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience. Early in my musical instrument repair carreer I melted an impossible to replace vintage Peddler clarinet key.

Thanks Honeyman. I definitely wouldn't try that! I'll probably just leave as is and try the Elmers glue trick to preserve it. Thanks for your reply

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I really like that find bud. I would leave it as is. It may actually accentuate the details a bit when you coat it. Please post a pic after you do. Great find

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Honeyman. I definitely wouldn't try that! I'll probably just leave as is and try the Elmers glue trick to preserve it. Thanks for your reply

Lite brushing with toothbrush ,and 50 50 mix of elmers.
Great find and save

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll throw in my 2 cents Darby- I've dug a ton of pewter relics in SC and found that less is always more with old pewter. Light tooth brushing with dish soap and water, let dry until the surface turns towards grey and then I coat with a thin layer of briwax to seal it. If during cleaning it beings to turn brown stop and seal immediately with 50/50 elmers or it will soon become dust.

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Ahab, Vino, VMI and I DIG IT. Appreciate y'all's input. Cleaned it last night and will put the 50/50 elmers on it today. Will post pic later. Thanks again!

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and save. Good luck with the preserving.

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks rodarian. Here are some pics after light cleaning and 50/50 Elmers glue and water sealer. 20150611_105118-1.jpg 20150611_104947-1.jpg
Thanks for looking!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So which method did you end up using to clean it? Thanks.

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Erik. I lightly cleaned it with a toothbrush and a dish soap. After that I gave it a quick brush with aluminum jelly (maybe 30 seconds). Let it dry and applied the 50/50 water and Elmers glue. Was sure hoping the cleaning would reveal some detail in the middle but doesn't look like anything was there. Cool find anyway! Thanks

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. It looks good. I have had success too with quick applications of aluminum jelly on a number of items. I'm hesitant to try it on the flag I just found (because it might destroy the paint) but I will try it on the little horse figure. It does seem to cut through the caked on old dirt etc. that's so tough to remove pretty well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread