Picnic ground yields Day's One and two

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
(sorry for blurry pics)
In April, 2016, after months of research, I located a picnic ground that I have been searching for. It was an area used as a picnic ground and amusement park in the 1930s-1950s. It had all sorts of activities, and it was now found and accessible. But there was a problem. The potential of this site could be great. I wanted to share this experience with my father, but, he was away at a pool tournament. This hunt would have to wait two weeks.

After two weeks, it was finally, time to go on the hunt. After an hour long drive, we arrived at the area which is open to the public at around 2:30pm. As i pulled up. I noticed a car with a Lesche shovel leaning against the tire, and a metal detector in the back seat. I said to my dad, looks like someone beat us to it. Down by the water was a young man(late 20's) cleaning his tools(pin-pointer and such). His machine was an E=trac.

I asked him how he did, and he said in a nasty tone, "I'm not fishing. I'm just cleaning some stuff and going home". I said "I know. You were metal detecting like we are here for." With that he stood up and I went over to him. I then repeated, "so how did you do?" He said, "well, I got 20 silvers today, 20 yesterday, and 30 the day before."(I did not believe this at all). I said, "WOW! How long have you been coming here?" "This is my third time", he said. All the while his tone was very guarded.

By this time, my father started walking down the bank toward us. I knew that this guy was acting this way, because he was concerned about someone else detecting here. So I decided to see if my hunch was right. I asked, "so where did you find them at?" He said, "along the banks of the river". I knew that was a lie, as on mu way down, there were no dig holes or activity of someone walking along the banks, However, I made a note to myself, not to go near the banks out of respect for his area he worked, even though he was going home. My father started taking to him for a little bit, I walked back to the car, and after a bit, they walked up to our cars where I was starting to get suited up for the hunt. we introduced ourselves and he said his name was Marco(named changed). Suddenly, I knew who this was. I said, "I went on a hunt with you and another guy named Polo(named changed)." He said, "I remember you, did you guys find anything else that day?" I said "No It was beat to death. So let me see what you found, I am curious."

He came over to me and opened a small blue United Penn Bank change purse with a pile of shiny silver coins(20 for sure). I quickly scanned the type of coins. Silver Washingtons, Mercs, Rosies, and quite a bit of war nickels. I looked at him and said, "Wow, great job! Thank you for showing me!". He said "Yea, it's pretty much cleaned out.. Just wheat pennies left." And THAT, was his biggest mistake he ever made with me. You see, with me having been an investigator, and having to sit in a room and interview people that you watched steal stuff on camera, you get to learn a lot about body language and when someone is lying to you outright.

I was pissed, but I still wasn't going to go in his area he was working. Once I was suited up, I went into the woods. I could tell right away, that area was picked clean a long time ago. No high tones at all and no signs of digging. I started toward the swamp and then I noticed, that Marco, was in an area in the swamp by the second main path. He told me he was going home, but I guess, he changed his mind(I will leave you to speculate why). The swamp was wet and mud filled. I had a little luck. I found a large batch of wheats in an area. I then looked at Marco and he didn't move from that spot.

About two hours passed, and he finally left as it was getting close to dark. I decided to go have a close look at the river bank to make sure my hunch was right and, I was. The river bank had no activity of any kind. He lied to me for sure and that meant to me, the site was fair game. i went right over to the swamp path and there were loads of wheat penny signals. Well, I know all about masking, but time was running out. I had a wheat penny signal that was a screamer on my CTX. I dug down and there was a mixture of coins. A few nickels and wheats, and a silver quarter.

Day one: Silvers-3 washingtons, 3 war nickels, a rosie dime, and a silver charm. A pile of wheats and a few jeff nickels and 1 buff. My farther found a barber quarter.

014_zpsrdnwknuf.jpg

On the ride back, I was furious. To be lied to like that for no reason really pushed my buttons. I vowed to my father, that I would clean that place out. At the time, I was not thinking rationally, as I am very passionate about the hobby.

It rained hard the next day At work, all I could think about was getting back up there. I asked for the following Monday off. The plan was to hit it hard, Sat Sun Mon. We got up there on Sat about 12 PM. Marco was already there. The area he was working was far away from the swamp path. So, I decided to go back to that area and work it. After a few hours, I noticed Marco, walking back and forth on the path, observing what I was doing in his old spot. I was covered with mud and I needed a break. I walked back to the car to change pin-pointer batteries, when Marco and my father were talking. Marco asked how I did, I said I got a few wheats, that's about it(I had a few silvers too). Marco then said, "Yea, this place has about had it. I won't be coming back. There is nothing but wheat pennys here." More lies, I thought. After i took a drink of water I went right back to it. After a few more finds, we wrapped it up, but we were coming back tomorrow!

Day Two:silvers-2 washingtons 4-rosies 1- merc 2-barbers dimes 1-war nickel. 2 buffs wheats and jeffs.

015_zpsv2wexuoc.jpg
To be cont.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not kind to liars. You handled it well, but I'd have called him on it there on the spot.

He may have just as well said he found brook trout.... the liar.

I hope you find GOLD in his spot! Clean it out so he'll have no choice but to hunt elsewhere.

Some people suck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have met people like that when detecting. For some reason, they just don't want to detect with others, and consider others their competition. And the more people that show up, the more they-don't-like it. And pretty soon they snarl at your for any perceived "getting too close", or "telling someone else", etc... All-the-while you know you stumbled/researched it on your own.

Bummer that some people are like that. Fortunately, most md'rs like to hunt with others, share, and relish the friendly competition. Thanx for sharing your story.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Handled it right. Let him lie ... and use it to your advantage. No need to be confrontational. Nice finds!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You researched a public area, found a good possibility and went there. You have as much right as anyone to detect ANYWHERE in that PUBLIC area. If someone is already there, you just search another area for awhile until they move on. Congratz on the finds!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand, I am not terribly inclined to tell someone what I found or where or how long I have been hunting there. My answer to what I have found is always "not much". No animosity towards them but they ain't my buddy either. I expect them to give me my space and I'll do the same.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
On the other hand, I am not terribly inclined to tell someone what I found or where or how long I have been hunting there. My answer to what I have found is always "not much". No animosity towards them but they ain't my buddy either. I expect them to give me my space and I'll do the same.

I agree! So don't lie to me like I am stupid when I have more MD skills and experience than you do(that's how I felt in that situation, that wasn't toward you Sue).

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! So don't lie to me like I am stupid when I have more MD skills and experience than you do(that's how I felt in that situation, that wasn't toward you Sue).

Someone comes at me with that kind of a vibe and they aren't going to get a word out of me, ever.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always considered it bad form to ask someone where they dug their finds. I WILL share information with those who share it with me, as long as I feel they're being honest. I've also helped out newbies to give them a fighting chance at finding something at some of my pounded sites. If however, I feel I'm being phished for information by an experienced detectorist, I'll be happy to send them on a wild goose chase.

Last edited:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly I think you are making way too much of this. You shouldn't let this guy get to you. If he isn't a nice guy and doesn't want to be honest with you about what he finds and where he finds it then just forget about it. The best thing you can do is ignore people like this. Be friendly, smile, kill them with kindness and leave them alone.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Honestly I think you are making way too much of this. You shouldn't let this guy get to you. If he isn't a nice guy and doesn't want to be honest with you about what he finds and where he finds it then just forget about it. The best thing you can do is ignore people like this. Be friendly, smile, kill them with kindness and leave them alone.
Thank you for the advice, but as you will see in the next few installments, the issue resolves itself.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
There was a lot more to the conversation than just, "tell me all your secrets about this place". But I didn't want to make this a 4000 word story. The questions I asked him were to gauge him and not for any real information. I am experienced enough, on my own, to find what needed to be found. I was polite and respectful as I always try to be when i meet a fellow hobbyist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread