Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The orange one is waterproof, the black one isn't. I was lucky and Santa brought me a Garrett Carrot this past Christmas

20151212_094137.jpg

Deteknix has a waterproof pin pointer that works great and costs less.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where you are seeing $50 for the regular Propointer, I think they still run over $100, so not that much less than the waterproof version. There are fakes out there, and for $50 you are likely looking at one.

I would skip the knock offs and would pay the extra $20 or so dollars over a real Propointer and get the orange "Garrett carrot".

Last edited:
OP
OP
james199

james199

Feb 7, 2016
Daytona Beach
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so if its orange then it's waterproof black is not .. thank you as that makes more sense on why one cost more than the other. I guess some sellers just say anything to make a sale and us dumb dumbs ( like me ) fall for it ...well i use to.. now i go straight to a form and ask as . I like to think I'm getting smarter in my old age :laughing7:

Now my next question is probably going to be a doozy as what is the best pin pointer for water as i and a avid diver and i want to use a pin pointer under water up to 75 feet . I can go deeper but i do a lot of diving in fresh water springs and some salt, but more fresh at the moment.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a diver and nobody makes a pinpointer that goes deeper than 10 ft. You don't need one anyway underwater. Fanning the bottom with hands or ping pong paddle is all you need. But if ya want to speed up the recovery use a Garrett Classifier pan to push into the sand or muck. They float so tether it to you.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used both models of the Garrett pin pointers over the years. I think I had 3 Pro Pointers before finally purchasing the Garrett Carrot, (AT Pointer).
When my original pin pointer developed problems, I called Garrett. I was given a "Return service number," and sent it in. Garrett
just about rebuilt it, as it came back looking brand new. I have since had another of the black units rebuilt and again the service was
fantastic. I have never had any problems with the Garrett Carrot, (AT Pointer).
I always covered the Black unit's speaker with red plastic electrical tape. It helps to keep dirt out while protecting the unit from water
during use in the rain. The Red Tape also makes the pointer easier to spot in case you put it down in the grass while digging, and
then forget to pick it up. On the black unit (pro pointer), mud will tend to foul the on/off button. You can carefully remove the rubber
button and clean the area just above the internal white button switch. After cleaning the black rubber switch cover, it can be easily
reinstalled. Sometimes the pointer will act erratic by either giving false signals or just beeping for no reason. In both cases, try changing the battery.
After many years of hunting with a technique known as, "Waving a fistful of soil across the Coil," I will not leave home without my pointer.

OP
OP
james199

james199

Feb 7, 2016
Daytona Beach
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input. Looks like i'll give the AT pro a try

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Far as I know, the black one is waterproof, but only up to where the rubber button is. So, you can kinda put the end of it into water okay, but no further. Mine has held up fine, perhaps others have many more hours into theirs than I have (about 125 hours total). I have heard great things about the AT-Pro pointer (the orange one), so if you can swing the price, that may be your best bet. Good luck either way and happy hunting.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James - it looks like you got your answer... The Propointer II is not waterproof, while the Propointer AT is waterproof plus has a few extra features.

But I wanted to note one thing - beware of fakes.

There is a huge problem with these being counterfeited, be sure to buy from an authorized dealer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread