Pinpointer

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & MI-6, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am aware of $40 and under units and then $125+ units which is where the Garrett falls. I have a $40 under unit and it works but not as well as the Garrett. I need to be much closer to the metal with the point of the cheaper unit.

Many would say that if you start off with a cheaper unit you will be disappointed and eventually upgrade if you stick with it. If you can't wing the better unit at the start, which is perfectly understandable, look for a less expensive unit. There are models from $20 that you can find online at places like Harbor Freight and then a bit more for even name brand ones such as a Bounty Hunter model. Check Kellyco or other reputable online retailers in their pinpointer section.

David

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
jman774

jman774

Apr 21, 2013
Southwest pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter pioneer 202
The stud finder, you said it works well. How close do you need to get to the metal for it to detect it

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & MI-6, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the Harbor Freight one for $17
Metal Detector

Kellyco's list, just because it was easy to grab the URL is:
Metal Detector Electronics Pinpointers and Probes Detector For Sale
It lists their own @ $70, and a Fisher & Bounty Hounter @ $60.
Any of the reputable & active vendors here on the forum list at:
Supporting Vendors
can provide some specific info on the same models. They might also have some targeted suggestions for you.

I do want to reiterate my initial point in my first reply that you want to either go cheap or go for the Pro Pointer (or similar one). If it was me and I had $60-70 to spend, I'd be deciding if I go with the $20 until now so I have something or just hold off and save the rest and get the Pro Pointer.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Harbor Freight pointer works fine. It's problem as is with most HF stuff is it's not made very well in that it will not survive the rigors of use it will see in the field. With that said you will need to be careful with it. I will not go into detail here but let me just add that 'duck tape' is a wonderful thing. It protects, holds together, seals, water proofs and now comes in a an abundance of colors and patterns. Use it wisely for better living.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I am soon getting ready to put a Whites Bullseye 2 for sale for $70. It was new in December 2012 and never been in the dirt unless I get a local hunter interested. Not pushing it for sale but thought I would post anyway. martin

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a reply I posted in the main Metal Detecting forum when someone
asked about the pros and cons of various pinpointers.

============================
I tried the Zircon MetalliScanner m40, which is sold as a stud finder
via Lowe's and Home Depot (mostly online; I haven't found it in
their retail stores). I think it was $29.95, but I might be a little off.

Anyway, it worked pretty well. It's reasonably sensitive and I was able
to find lots of targets when doing turf hunting. Considering the price
difference with a Garrett Pro-pointer, I thought I had a great bargain.

But it has a few problems. First, it's not long and straight like the PP.
The sensing portion is at an angle from the handle, so when you point
it at the surface, it works fine for pinpointing, but when you are working
several inches into a hole, it's sometimes hard to tell just where the
target is located. Several times I've gone the wrong direction from
the target and couldn't find it until I dug a LARGE hole.

Second, it's not nearly as durable as the PP. It's made of two plastic
halves that have a tendency to come apart if you scrape it on the
ground too hard. Also, the battery cover comes off too easily when
you bump it and/or toss it on the ground. (It works without the
battery cover, I've discovered, but doesn't protect the circuitry so
well without it, of course.) In fairness, it isn't designed to be a
metal detecting pinpointer. It's meant to be a stud finder, used
indoors to detect nails in the wall. And I think it works quite well
for that.

Finally, the problem that bothered me the most is that it isn't
waterproof or designed to work in damp grass. It gave me false
signals when I used it in moist grass (wet from dew or after rain).
Again, that's not a problem when you're looking for studs in
the wall, but it's a frequent problem when you're MD-ing.

So I asked for a Garrett Pro-pointer for my birthday when
my family didn't know what to give me. They gave me one.
It's great. it solves all the problems above. If I ever lose it,
I'll buy another one immediately, even though it's not cheap.

--Tom
============================

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not going to buy the garrett buy a cheap 20 dollar pinpointer because they all work about the same you almost have to touch the metal for it to sound off ...better yet save your money

OP
OP
jman774

jman774

Apr 21, 2013
Southwest pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
I got one of the stud finders it was only thirty bucks, I'm gonna use it until I save up for a Garett, I think I'm gonna buy some duct tape too by the sounds of it

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Lets get realistic about this. There are actual tests here on T Net that visually show the pickup of the Cen Tec from Harbor Freight and the Pro pointer from Garret. The results show that they both pick up a dime at 1/2". Only the Cen Tec has an outside sensitive adjustment. You can further adjust the Cen Tec with a pot inside the case. I might mention that you really don't want a pinpointer to pickup to far away or it will sound-off anywhere in the hole. My Cen Tec is 2 years old and works as good as new. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jman774

jman774

Apr 21, 2013
Southwest pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
So I got the stud finder today and me and my buddy went out and messed around a little bit, my stud finder did the same if not better as his Garrett pro! I mean yeah it don't make as much noise until its about an inch away but the lights turn on when your about 4 inches away!! The only bad thing that could come out of it is if it's not as durable but hey, I could have 4 of them for the price of a Garett

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m
Lets get realistic about this. There are actual tests here on T Net that visually show the pickup of the Cen Tec from Harbor Freight and the Pro pointer from Garret. The results show that they both pick up a dime at 1/2". Only the Cen Tec has an outside sensitive adjustment. You can further adjust the Cen Tec with a pot inside the case. I might mention that you really don't want a pinpointer to pickup to far away or it will sound-off anywhere in the hole. My Cen Tec is 2 years old and works as good as new. Frank...

View attachment 783321
I agree. I own centech from Harbor freight till I can afford to buy the propointer. The centech button will go bad quickly, so I just wired it on at all times. Saves me a bunch of time not having to push a button. I use rechargeable battery's, and it will detect up to 3 inches if in right conditions and you tune it right. I usually have to tune it frequently but as posted centech works for now. I always run the best equipment I can afford.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
m I agree. I own centech from Harbor freight till I can afford to buy the propointer. The centech button will go bad quickly, so I just wired it on at all times. Saves me a bunch of time not having to push a button. I use rechargeable battery's, and it will detect up to 3 inches if in right conditions and you tune it right. I usually have to tune it frequently but as posted centech works for now. I always run the best equipment I can afford.
You can easily replace the button with one from Radio Shack for about $2. Frank...

coins_0002 H 5 peso.jpg

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your using the Harbor Freight Cen-Tec do these 2 things and it will last a long time. The on/off switch is a weak point and will go bad quickly so, turn it on when you get it and leave it on. When your ready to use it hook up the battery, when your done take the battery out. Not a big deal. Second is after you turn it on encase the entire unit in a layer of duck tape. That waterproofs it to the extent that duck tape does a pretty good job at keeping water out of just about anything. If you can't afford $130 + for a name brand pin pointer then the Cent -Tec will do for less than 20 bucks. If your astute with electronic operations you can use the 'pot' inside the unit to up the sensitivity or, you can use a coin silde to do the same thing. I believe both the 'pot' adjustments and the 'coin slide' (use it on any pin pointer to increase sensitivity/depth) can be found on Youtube.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The switch on Cen Tec is a pushbutton, It is a momentary on switch, it turns itself off. You can get a new switch at Radio Shack for about $2 and install it in about 15 min. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg Forget about wrapping it up. Mine has laster 2 years, naked! lol Frank...

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one I have has a slide switch and is about 7 years old.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The one I have has a slide switch and is about 7 years old.

7 years!! I had no idea they had been making them for that long. Mine is 2 years old and they now have pushbutton momentarily on switches. I have modded mine. I added a bright blue LED that lights on target. Just hooked it to the buzzer. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread