Pioneer 505 v. Prism III v. Ace 250

anewton68

Dec 5, 2006
Ok, I know you guys are getting tired of the "I'm a beginner, which one should I buy?" posts, but I have hinted to Mom that I want a detector for Christmas and push is coming to shove. I have been researching online for hours and hearing feedback from my Mom. She went to a local hobby store and they had the Prism III in stock, but could order the Garrett Ace 250. She saw the Pioneer 505 at Wal-Mart in a package accessory deal and suggested it, being the good Wal-Mart shopper that she is. I am a beginner and will be hunting for coins/relics in fields and old house sites in Southwest Georgia (no beach or wet searching). My basic take on all the research that I have done is these three are all roughly similar quality beginner models. It seems like a lot of people don't like the Ace 250 sounds and there are minor complaints about all three. Has anybody tried 1, 2 or all 3 and have an opinion about which one is better quality or have an overall recommendation. Sorry for being another one of those guys.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For every one person who doesn't like the ACE 250, there are 10 who love it! Like all detectors it has it's pecularities that are openly discussed on Tnet. I think you are mistaking that for "dont like" when actually they are discussing operator problems. Unless you are a saltwater hunter, the ACE 250 is the best little detector on the market. It is not only used by beginners, but many seasoned MDers are still using it a lot. I know I do and I have a lot of more expensive equipment available to me. My second choice would be the Prism III. The Wally World detectors are ok but are more than likely the bottom of the line BH detectors. If you like BH detectors check out the model 3300 at Radio Shack. It is a decent little detector for just over a hundred bucks. They can order it and have it within a week if not in stock. I have one of those that I keep in my truck all the time for hunting unexpected targets of opportunity. Just a little fiendly advice.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
y not try a TROY SHADOW X2
they run on ebay for about the same price as the above mentioned #1,2,3
thought id throw a wrench in the works
your welcome in advance ;D

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
you would have to compare the p5 to the 250. but the 300$ you save buying the 250 will buy a lot of accessories.

OP
OP
A

anewton68

Dec 5, 2006
I haven't actually gotten the detector yet, because it's supposed to be a Christmas surprise, but I am almost sure I am getting the Whites Prism III. After we started looking around, it turns out the only dealer we could find in our town only sold Whites, so it was either those or the ones sold at Walmart. We went to visit him to look at what he had and he was a nice older guy who mainly sells and services appliances (the detector sales are a personal hobby and side business for him) and he told me that he would take me out personally to some of the sites he likes to go to next year. We decided that in the end that buying from him in-town and having him as a contact might be worth more to me as a beginner than going out of town and buying a better model from somebody I'd never see again.

free4dan

Dec 8, 2006
I've had very good luck with my BH 505. I've found many coins, and gold and silver jewelry (including rings). I strated with the 202 and did pretty well, but the 505 is better. I can't compare the machine to others, since they are all I've ever used. However, my nephew has a Tsoro and I have pretty much found everything he was finding and then some. Hope this helps. I do hope to try the Ace 250 sometime, and who knows, I might like it better.
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread