place names?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wreck is in the Turks and Caicos and so is firmly off limits except possibly for sightseeing, but the old chart from British Surveys in 1830 and 1845 might be of interest to some. The video is kind of cool as well.

I had never heard of this wreck, but in looking at the old chart, it just struck me that "Endymion" was an odd name for a rock...

It turns out the rock was named after a British 44 gun Fifth Rate that sank in 1790, H.M.S. Endymion.

endymion rock.png From British surveys in 1830 and 1845

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This wreck is in the Turks and Caicos and so is firmly off limits except possibly for sightseeing, but the old chart from British Surveys in 1830 and 1845 might be of interest to some. The video is kind of cool as well.

I had never heard of this wreck, but in looking at the old chart, it just struck me that "Endymion" was an odd name for a rock...

It turns out the rock was named after a British 44 gun Fifth Rate that sank in 1790, H.M.S.

Last edited:

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Jolly - there is another wreck (HMS Ros...) on your map (not shown on your thumbnail) that according to friends who dive that area, has never been located!!
How bout a quit update here on this thread BVI. Hope it's still making you get up in the morning with a smile on your face

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How bout a quit update here on this thread BVI. Hope it's still making you get up in the morning with a smile on your face

I kinda don't really need to get up in the mornings no more - but I sure am smiling! :thumbsup:

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
That's great! Smiling ear to ear for ya. Tight sails and calm seas to ya and may your coconutz never hang lower than your grass skirt

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda don't really need to get up in the mornings no more - but I sure am smiling! :thumbsup:

Oh, stop it BVI.

One of this forum's foremost experts has already told us there is no treasure to be found in the British Virgin Islands.

You are wasting your time. :tongue3:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, stop it BVI.

One of this forum's foremost experts has already told us there is no treasure to be found in the British Virgin Islands.

You are wasting your time. :tongue3:

Guess I'd better stay in bed tomorrow then..! :laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You folks along the coasts have it great! All we have up here in Tennessee are roads like Raccoon Valley Rd., Turkey Roost Lane, Buzzards Roost Rd., Skunk Hollow Rd., Possum Hollow Rd., etc, etc.. The are a few creeks/streams named Gold Creek and Gold Branch but that is about it. Our Pirates were and still are dry land outlaws and since the Cherokee, Creek, Yuchi, Chickasaw, Koasati, Quapaw and Shawnee Indians never displayed much of their's Gold and Silver, the Spaniards did not think it was worth killing and plunder over, so they did not spend much time here.

Frank

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lots of places in the Florida Keys are named after wrecks. Alligator Reef & Looe Key come to mind. The Marquesas Keys were named from the Spanish "Cayos de Marques", which was where the Marquis de Cadereita, commander of the 1622 treasure fleet made his salvage camp.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
In my 74 years I have saw many places names changed...Many were named for who lived there...When someone else moved in they changed it..,Never think that any creek has had it’s name forever....There is a bend up on highway 50 in California that will away’s be called Fred’s Place by me even thorough it s called something else by the county...Art

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theirs a road called Deep hole road. That's where ships came in because their was a deep hole at the end of the. But ya they help with remembering History. Like Indian names for roads also. Kinds of describes the landscape or a hidden meaning.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a lot of my youth on "Treasure Island" ... here off St.Pete...
And yes was so named for the treasure found on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions