PLEASE DON'T TRASH HUNTING SITE!!!

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've told a couple of people on T-Net personal locations I've been hunting bottles ever since I was a child and some metal detecting spots as well. I did this because they were new to this hobby and I wanted to "give back". Well I've been to my bottle site about 5 different times and it looks like a friggin mine field. I mean holes everywhere!! Broken glass everywhere! So I've spent each of those times cleaning up the site, filling in holes and wishing I would bump into whoever is doing this. I don't even know if it's someone from this site but if it is Please Stop destroying the area. There's kids, dogs and hikers that use the woods as well and I will definitely be blamed and probably fined for the mess. It's such an amazing hunting spot and would be a shame to loose it over an ash pole destroying the site.
Sorry for the rant guys but I have to try and reach the person somehow. Hopefully it works. HH

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain, all you were trying to do is help someone new. Hopefully there won't be any problems with the site being shut down!

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a code of conduct when detecting
1. Always fill in your holes
2. If you dig it keep it......

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just for the reasons you ranted about I do not share any private sites, except for when my bother-in-law comes to town. I give back and work with newbies, but I do this on public lands or one of their permissions. I'd hate to lose a permission due to the careless acts of others.

OP
OP
Mrdigz

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain, all you were trying to do is help someone new. Hopefully there won't be any problems with the site being shut down!

Exactly, but I will take part of the blame since I didn't personally go with them and show them the correct way to hunt a site. That's even if it turns out to be one of the people I've told which I really hope it's not. Spot is about 1 hour away so when I go there next week I'll take photos.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should never tell anybody about your site. You tell them, they tell their friends, their friends tell...so on and so on. If you have an interest in a place it's best to keep it to yourself. It's your fault. Once you let the information go there's no controlling anybody.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should never tell anybody about your site. You tell them, they tell their friends, their friends tell...so on and so on. If you have an interest in a place it's best to keep it to yourself. It's your fault. Once you let the information go there's no controlling anybody.

These were my thoughts as well. That doesn't excuse the other individuals actions but unfortunately this is what happens.

OP
OP
Mrdigz

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know it sucks. That's why I'm hoping its not connected to my lapse in judgement. Either way whoever is doing this will eventually get caught. For his sake it's better the police catch him.

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know this is an old post, but I had the same thing happen to me. I had this great site that I found when I was a little girl. I'd forgotten about it for years but went back about 20 years ago and came into town with these old bottles. People, specifically family, asked where I got them, I told them and they told their friends who told their friends and on and on. I don't even go there anymore as it's pretty much been picked clean. Learned my lesson there.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, don't trash hunting sites OR ANY PLACE! Damn a litterbug!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never take anyone you don't know WELL to any place you care about. Especially newbies.... too many people come into detecting with a "get rich quick" mentality and can't be bothered to make clean recoveries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions