political pins & buttons

lumix

Jun 11, 2005
Rhode Island
political pins & buttons

Just wondering if anybody here collects campaign buttons.

I have 2 1888 Harrison pins that i found while cleaning out my grandfather's attic back in 1954 after he died.

front%20(Medium).JPG

I've searched the internet to see if they have any value, but all I've found so far is this. http://www.sd4history.com/Unit8/harrison.htm

I have found a lot of different buttons and pins with prices for Harrison 1888, but not this one particular pin.
I'm not interested in selling these, I'm just curious.

There must be some sort of a book listing political paraphernalia and their value. Maybe someone here has such a book and would be willing to look it up for me.
I'd be much gratefull.
Thanks in advance.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: political pins & buttons

Here is one that I dug a few years ago. It's from the same election year. It appears to be made by the designer.

Attachments

• Cleveland pin.jpg
    Cleveland pin.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 406
OP
OP
lumix

lumix

Jun 11, 2005
Rhode Island

Thats interesting. President Cleveland was renominated unanimously by the Democratic convention in New York. The Republican convention nominated Benjamin Harrison. Harrison won the electoral vote, Cleveland won the popular vote. ( sounds familiar) It's odd that they both would have a similar pin during the same election. I wonder who copied who......

They are identical except the eagle is slightly different.( note the angle of the head.) Also , the letters on your's are raised where mine are not. It could be because mine is filled in with paint giving the appearance that the letters are not raised.
Thanks for the post,i enjoyed seeing that. It most of been exciting digging that one up.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm a full time political collector, and have 3 different bar pins that match the Cleveland one pictured by bk. I will try and take a picture of them tonight and post. If one or more of them match your items I will be able to give you values on them. Will try and get back to this spot later tonight.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's a picture of the Harrison bar pins that I have. I know that there are 4 in the picture, but the bottom 2 look the same except for the size of the printing. If your bar pins are anything like these, they are in the $50 to $75 range each. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Harrison 3.jpg
    Harrison 3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 359

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread