POSSIBLE CIVIL WAR ARTIFACTS AROUND DANVILLE VA MAP

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
on the civil war map link i posted there is this map...Its also at unc wilson library or in the southern historical society papers...you can google jeremy gilmer collection...the map is titled

Jeremy Francis Gilmer Papers, 1839-1894
Collection Number 276

Oversize Paper OP-276/277

Gilmer Map Number 512: Map of Danville defences (27-3/4" x 28-1/4")

I donated a copy of this map to the museum in danville a several years ago....on this map are a number of rifle pits that were filled in at wars end...one is under a paved parking lot...one is under a street...another is under or possibly directly between two businesses where a dig would be difficult at best...the last two unsearchable ones being one on the rr track bed and another on city property...All the rest, numbering between 6-8, are on private properties in a rough neighborhood but one that in which i searched a very many properties with little problem and most property owners are very willing to let you poke around...the ones that balk will change their attitude with a little green $ on the line for them...just stay out of the area on fridays after lunch till monday morning and leave with the sun each day........the reason i am posting this is that i have pointed out these spots to a few local history types hoping they would redig these pits to no avail..i think they are nervous of the people around there....i hunted the area for a long number of years, always with my rebel hat on, my rebel flag on the front of my car, and only had one encounter that was what might be considered bad or dangerous...a drunk started giving me $#!^ over my rebel flag but by the end of a ten minute lesson on Confederate/civil war history he was ready to go drink a few beers with me...no problem...these entrenchments are still there, still undug, still digable, easy to locate with the above listed map, and may prove to be great spots to locate civil war relics.........gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread