Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
XP Deus, XP Deus 2, XP MI-6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this on the upper middle peninsula of Hampton Roads, VA. Earlier in the week we found two Civil War 3-ringers, on a previously un-detected set of trenches that we just got permission on. This was found yesterday in the trench and we were unsure of what it was. Obviously it is a button, but does anyone know any info? Union or Confederate? Worth?

Thanks in advance!!
100MEDIA$IMAG0253.jpg 100MEDIA36IMAG0252.jpg

Upvote 4

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My initial thought was a shako side plate but it appears a little too big. Maybe just some sort of patriotic motif that was a badge or the like. My hunch is Union related but I have seen "Union" patriotic devices come out of CS sites. Neat find. Congrats.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Shako Hat Insignia for Topographical Engineers Hat (Union). Looks like the hat insignia for these guys early on before they got folded into the Corps of Engineers was essentially shield with stars and a wreath, but afterwards various topographical engineer regiments (T.E.) had these devices.

NCCivilWarRelics.com Catalog

Further reading

Index Union Army Uniforms and Insignia of the Civil War

(search topographical)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shako Hat Insignia for Topographical Engineers Hat (Union). Looks like the hat insignia for these guys early on before they got folded into the Corps of Engineers was essentially shield with stars and a wreath, but afterwards various topographical engineer regiments (T.E.) had these devices.

NCCivilWarRelics.com*Catalog

Further reading

Index Union Army Uniforms and Insignia of the Civil War

(search topographical)

Looks like a match to me.

I assume they had a split pin arrangement on the reverse (now bust off)?

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Cru,

Not exactly sure myself how they adhered it. From what I can see on the OP find, I'm think there were two soldered pieces (one in the middle) and one in roughly the 8 o'clock position. The OP find has a little "nub" on the rim at 8 o'clock which I think is the other solder point. In this soldered positions were two hook pins? that you would just push the device through the kepi or shako to keep it there? Doesn't sound as a effective as a safety pin type or other but I see on the back of the other one I found it was done that way as well as a another hat insignia of a brass bugle (regular Union enlisted) that had the same two-solder hook pins sticking out. The brass bugle example also has one side busted off it seems. It also possible the solder points were to just make these two bent hooks so that something else could be push through both of them + the fabric to keep the device on the hat. My lack of tailoring parlance is showing here..

F7B17F461CE04A6DB17FFF0BF29F1952nccwr%20gettysburg%20047.JPG

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, when you texted me the pic I didn't want to rain on your parade because I thought it was MODERN. What a SWEET end to the story!! Never seen one or this emblem before. Gotta be at least pretty rare . . . way to go!

OP
OP
RebelYeller

RebelYeller

May 6, 2014
Toano, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,
Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
XP Deus, XP Deus 2, XP MI-6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah we have a new permission, and saw some hills. We couldn't figure out if it was logging debris or CW trenches.... guess we know! Found a couple bullets too! My Deus is being delivered Tuesday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread