Possible Orient Fishtail, CT

ShortLobster

Jul 17, 2022
Found this cool, long & narrow point yesterday. Looking through some sources it seems it might be an Orient Fishtail type. Could also be a different type that has been reworked a few times.

Although the point is weathered, the material appears to be a dark gray chert. You can see the clean material on the chip near the tip on one of the pictures.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4172.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 6

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
F977A221-A958-40C7-B214-A4585248BBDA.jpeg
Cool point.
The material may be one of the soft argillites like Lockatong Argillite found in NJ and PA. It’s identified by the severe weathering, which I think is evident on your point.
It could be an Orient Fishtail. I believe the base is neatly tapered and that could be evidence for Orient Fishtail.
Although, the base could be considered somewhat lobed, which is strong evidence for a Lamoka Point.
Both are broadly side-notched and narrow. And, according to A New England Typology of Native American Projectile Points (by Jeff Boudreau), the Orient Fishtail appears to have its roots in Lamoka.

Attachments

• 1425D1FD-F6B0-47DB-83FC-5D3DCB2B9047.jpeg
    1425D1FD-F6B0-47DB-83FC-5D3DCB2B9047.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ShortLobster

Jul 17, 2022
View attachment 2062701 Cool point.
The material may be one of the soft argillites like Lockatong Argillite found in NJ and PA. It’s identified by the severe weathering, which I think is evident on your point.
It could be an Orient Fishtail. I believe the base is neatly tapered and that could be evidence for Orient Fishtail.
Although, the base could be considered somewhat lobed, which is strong evidence for a Lamoka Point.
Both are broadly side-notched and narrow. And, according to A New England Typology of Native American Projectile Points (by Jeff Boudreau), the Orient Fishtail appears to have its roots in Lamoka.
Very interesting, thanks. I hadn't considered Argillite, but it makes sense. I've found a bunch of other chert pieces nearby and none had this extent of weathering.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions