Pot O Gold ???

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to awful long ago I was using my Ol' Bounty Hunter, not to far from the Santa Fe Trail in New Mexico, and had a little bit of a stint polishing experience. I had been hunting about and hour when my machine started ringing up a great signal. I felt my blood pressure jack up about nine notches, because I was in an area where there was no trash and really not much of any kind of anything. Well the dig was on and the deeper I got the more excited I was! As you can see in this group of pictures how the dig progressed. My heart stopped 23 times when I unearthed a edge of a large disk which just looked like the lid to a pot of gold! I was diggin' that dirt like a badger after a field rat! As you can see I though. Well you can see I found the lid but the pot of gold is still out there some where.LOL!!! When I pulled that lid up and no gold, my blood pressure dropped so fast it knocked my boots off! It wound up being a lid to some ol' sheep herders dutch oven. Knowing the history of the area I was hunting it could have been a hundred and fifty years old or more. Not much in treasure, but lots of excitement!! Enjoy! The Kid:icon_thumright:
Transfer 163.JPG Transfer 164.JPG Transfer 165.JPG Transfer 166.JPG Transfer 167.JPG Transfer 168.JPG Transfer 169.JPG Not in the exact order but you get the drift !!!

Upvote 15
OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know Edmund I was thinking this little jewel had some age on it from the depth and the real remote location where I found it. This info gets my blood pumping again to go back and grid this location and re-swing! Many thanks for your knowledge and willingness to share. Makes my dang day!! I will consider it a treasure! HAVE A Merry Christmas better New Year!The Kid:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cook almost exclusively in cast iron. The lid like that would be sought after for use, but I am unsure how much due to the handle being broken. Some pots are designed to be "dutch ovens" but they don't work as such because there isn't a recessed lid like that, so I feel that if someone had one of those deep skillets they may want a proper lid for it.

On skillets they are numbered and I think that the numbers represent the size (I believe they go by diameter) of your oven lid. Neat thing about cast iron, it can be 200 years old but they have to go through a lot of ground action and corrosion to render them useless. You could pretty much clean up and season anything cast iron and make it better than it was new.

Thanks for the good info Pointman!! I was clueless on this one,but learned a ton on this web site!!Happy Holidays !! The Kid

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, perhaps I was mistaken. My appilogies.
I am not familliar with any unmarked manufacturers.
It wasnt my intention to be misleading in any way, the information I was offering came only from my personal experience in collecting CI and from the colllector books in which i have owned and read.

Your willingness to help and share what you know is what this site is all about! My appreciation for what info you provided remains unbroken!! Thank you so very much!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread