Pre 60 Nickels?

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save them for the kids and grandkids. They aren't worth much now, and probably won't be worth much in my lifetime. But who knows, maybe one day they'll have some value for the grandkids.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save only ones with less than 10 million minted

HH
-GC

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not always about silver. Some people like filling books and the nickel is the cheapest to work on. Some people are willing to buy them to complete a book. In my opinion, It's much more fulfilling to find them rather than buy them, but to each his own. Save all pre-60, sell them on eBay?

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its not always about the silver, I'm just curious about the early jefferson nickels. :laughing7:

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real good ones to keep (I believe) are:

1938 - D
1938 - S
1939 - D
1939 - S
ALL War Nickels
1950 - D

I may be wrong, but I believe those are the most "valuable" of all the Jefferson Nickels.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
My grandson and I are putting together a nickel book, what we already have that is pre 60, I keep. Recently sold 7 rolls pre 61 nickels ($14 face value) and a old empty Whitman collectors book I bought at a yard sale for a quarter. Got $20 on craiglist. Not much, but somebody wanted them and I got more for CRH.

PS: There were no war nickels in the rolls I sold, of course.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I've decided to not keep the non-silver nickels. I may change my mind later and regret throwing older coins back but trying to keep track of that many coins is a little much. The silver I know is worth something, but the low mintages you can never be sure.

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all pre-60's under 50 million mintage and sell the rest either on craigslist or ebay.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much of a profit do you make off of the ebay and craigslist sales? Is it much of a hassle?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread