Prefer to find coins at the beginning or end of a box?

Hopper39

Oct 1, 2011
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a nice dime box today. I generally average a little under 1.5/box, and I was at 3 rosies by roll 25, and snagged a 4th on the 2nd to last roll of the box.

Given how the first half of the box went, I was slightly disappointed by the end, and realized my perception of how the box might have been very different if I'd started from the other side.

Which brings me to my question - do you prefer those boxes that are front-loaded, but disappoint on the second half, or and skunky until the end, and redeem themselves?

Put another way, does the excitement of anticipating a big box with early keepers make up for a zero on the back end, or is the satisfaction of a save at the end more enjoyable?

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I prefer enders :P Just toss them to the side! if the box is skunk, you got enders to go to, if it provides more, then sweet! Finds + enders = great:D
Wicka

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't know ... Never have found an ender but in general it's nice to find it at the end of the box.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I like finding something good at the beginning of the box. That gives me a good feeling; that way, when I find something nice to start with, I feel like anything else I find is just a bonus. :)

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I find coins in every box I get, it's finding the silver ones thats a challenge. HH, Maverick.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
I like finding them evenly throughout so I'm never left with a dull moment :P But honestly I'd rather see them towards the end so it doesn't end in sadness. But any silver is good in my opinion no matter where it is in the box!

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A few weeks ago I had a box of dimes that had two silvers in the first roll. I got my hopes up thinking that it might be a pretty good box. It was kind frustrating when I only found one more silver at around roll 15. To make things worse my other two boxes after that were skunks. I would rather have found those two silvers at the very end of my third box than at the beginning of the first.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel better when I score right away. Sometimes the last roll can be a pleasant surprise but if the first 49 rolls are skunk, I don't have high hopes for roll #50.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I prefer silver towards the end, you then get a moment of happiness instead of some sadness at the end that you didn't have a continuous box. However, if I find any silver, I am never sad.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well as previously said, i would prefer evenly spaced out silvers, but to answer the beginning OR end question, i would say that I would rather find silver in the beginning of the box, at least i won't feel discouraged if the remaining rolls were skunks...

if i opened from the other end and all were skunks until roll 50, i would be dissapointed for the 49 rolls to open.
hh
buff

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I set all enders aside and open them last.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter since I am going to open all of the rolls anyway, but at the beginning is better since it makes searching the rest of the rolls more tolerable.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the beginning it gives me hope

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread