Preserving wood?

M

mattjd

You can paint the wood with clearcoat. It's kinda like a glaze that keeps water from getting in the wood.

Matt

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Glaze would work I suppose.... Or you can go to your local hardware store and pick up something like Thompsons deck care supplies. That why, it would still look somewhat natural and not all shiny like the glaze would make it.

M

mattjd

If it's nothing valuable you shouldn't really need to put anything on it. What kind of relic is it if you don't mind telling.

Matt

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
A whatsit thingy with a kind of rotted wood handle that i would like to stabalize and also my recently found thing that i think is an old filter thingy from a cistern that is pretty stable and shouldnt need much attention. I never mind telling somone my finds :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean it with some Murphy's oil soap.Then coat it several times over with polyurethane.I have a nice piece of driftwood i'm gonna do.I'm probably gonna coat it with epoxy though.Good luck and H.H.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
diggummup said:
Clean it with some Murphy's oil soap.Then coat it several times over with polyurethane.I have a nice piece of driftwood i'm gonna do.I'm probably gonna coat it with epoxy though.Good luck and H.H.

Yeah, thats good stuff. Couldn't remember poly-whats-a-ma-call-it, but I would use that for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread