Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting an 1870's house for a while and the funds are getting slim. The yard is quite small and super trashy, so I've been trying to pick out the goodies amongst the trash. The neighbor down the street owns land that used to be a dairy farm, but most of it burned down in the 60's and it has been sitting in the same condition since then. He saw me in the front yard and recommended that I check an area in the woods that used to be an old cart path. He couldnt tell me when it dated to but assumed early 1900's. He gave me pretty good directions to it and I was off! Sure enough his detailed description lead me right to the spot and I didn't waste any time. I dug a few shotgun hulls right off the bat, but as I worked my way along a flat spot on the hillside I got that beautiful, sweet, perfect sounding silver tone on the at pro. Sure enough I dug down about 4" and pulled out a beautiful 1943 merc. I checked the area real well but found nothing else, I'm guessing a hunter dropped it as it was a clear overlook of the creek valley below. I worked my way down the hill trying to stay on the used-to-be cart path and pulled the 1919 wheat right at the base of the hill. Then I found the brass piece which has me stumped but looks old. Any info on it would be appreciated! After that I found the token which is really cool! It reads "good for 5 cents trade" and on the back says "Harry Stevens cigars and Billards". I decided to start working my way back along an old logging road which is still in use today, and I got another beautiful silver signal! Sure enough I dug a 1944 merc. I was happy to end on that note, and I'll definitey be checking this area more thoroughly! I don't think the land owner had high hopes for me finding anything but I can't wait to show him my finds next time! Gotta love when a permission kind of just drops in your lap! Thanks for looking and HH!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 7

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice couple of silvers! Good thing you talked to that guy!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
How about a pic of the obverse of the Harry Stevens token? That might help in identifying it.
John in the Great 208

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! Keep working the area, you never know what you will find!

Good Luck!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like old good for 5 cents tokens for sure.And you can't help but to like those two mercs either.

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
Here's a pic of the reverse of the token. As you can see it's pretty rough... It's aluminum and was completely unrecognizable before cleaning with a toothpick. I actually had to wet it too just to be able to make out some of the letters. Any help with an ID would be great. Thanks!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tokens and silver ..... what a great day

Top Member Reactions