Proof coins

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my first proof nickel tonight (1999 s) and I have found a few other quarter and half proofs as well over the years..my question though is how on earth do these get into circulation?!?! Don't these come in the proof sets SEALED in plastic!?

I never understand but I certainly love finding them!!!

(sorry kind of a re-post of this picture from earlier but I put it away with the other proof coins and I got to wondering)

image-830550787.jpg

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people inherit a collection, see there is a nickel, and crack it out of the case. Also, some 1980s proof sets are worth so little, it will be easier for dealers to spend the coins, than try to sell them.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Little Johnny decides to spend mommy and daddys coin collection on an Ice Cream Cone and Soda at the local ice cream shop during the summer.

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
MrSchulz said:
Little Johnny decides to spend mommy and daddys coin collection on an Ice Cream Cone and Soda at the local ice cream shop during the summer.

Seems like more work to crack those things open! People are nuts but I suppose it gives us something to search for!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like more work to crack those things open! People are nuts but I suppose it gives us something to search for!

Without little Johnny wanting a treat, our hobby would be gone!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
MrSchulz said:
Without little Johnny wanting a treat, our hobby would be gone!:laughing7:

Ain't that the truth! People just done know what they are spending!

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Love finding a proof! Usually I do it in pennies though. Still a Great find!
Keep Stackin
Wicka

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
A year or so ago, (I wrote about this on treasurenet). I walked into my dump bank and a lady was using the coin counter. She pulled out a denver mint set out and tried to open the cello wrap to dump the coins in the counter. She wasn't able to tear open the wrapper, and I was able to buy the set off her for $1 (face value 91 cents). Every proof coin you find in circulation started off sealed and somebody opened them up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions