Prospecting books?

Staroleum

Greenie
Nov 11, 2005
Portland, OR
Does anybody have any favorite prospecting books they would recommend?

I like to learn about the history and geology of the places I visit (~particularly the history and geology associated with mineralized areas), but I also want to acquire a good basic knowledge of geology.

I am currently reading "Modern Prospecting" by Roger McPherson, and I've been finding it both educational and entertaining - it's well written!

And, I love just about anything that helps inspire me to get out and dig around in the dirt and rocks.

Best,
S.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Hello,try Handbook for Prospectors..by richard Pearl or older editions by Von Bernewitz,been in print for over 75 years,And any gold books by the famous old australian legend Ion Idreiss.For simpler basic stuff tryJack Black.many soft cover books by him. Dave

feralmitch

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2005
N. California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more worth reading is : "The Handbook for the Alaskan Prospector" By Wolff.
It is from the early 1960's, so some of the book? is not relevant to today, but the
main bulk of the text is PURE GOLD.
Anything by Karl Von Mueller. He is a personal favorite of mine from way back in the
1930's...you can't go wrong with his works (in my opinion).
Good Skill to You,
? Mitch

feralmitch

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2005
N. California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also,...Anything by Jim Straight. How could I Forget to recommend him??? He has written many articles and posts on the web forums a lot. He loves to teach and share his knowledge...a graduate of Mackay(MS?) School of the Mines in Reno and practical field experience.
? "Advanced Prospecting and? Detecting for Hardrock Gold"? is one of his books that is a MUST Read, I.M.O..
? ?Feralmitch

feralmitch

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2005
N. California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave W.,
I'm in Placer County. You have a letter coming from me in responce to your offer for for a copy
of your "Paper on Hand Sampling Hardrock Prospects", so you will have my mailing address soon, too. ;D
Good to be in touch with you and looking forward to meeting you, Good Sir.
Mitch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread