Quartz arrowhead ID?

Len S

Sep 3, 2017
S. Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
This is an arrowhead found about fifty years ago while my a Dad and I were digging in our backyard in West Babylon , Long Island , New York. I believe it's made from Quartz. The length is 2 1/4" width 1 3/8". I would just like to know something about it so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Len

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The description by Ritchie does discuss Normanskill as sort of a narrow bladed relative of Brewerton Side Notch. I suppose it's possibly a Brewerton, but in my experience, and I have access to a large database of both types, Brewerton's side notches are usually not as wide, nor as deeply indented into the blade as Normanskill. Typology is a struggle at times, at least I find that is the case....

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

OP
OP
L

Len S

Sep 3, 2017
S. Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information Charl! Any idea as to when this type of piece was made?

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's a Normanskill, they are considered the last of the Laurentian Tradition points, which includes the Brewerton series of points. That would be Late-Transitional Archaic, or in the 3500-4000 year range. Brewertons are older then that...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread