Question about Pennies

Andrew123

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far barely starting, I have been averaging 5-10 copper pennies per roll. In a box, I usually get 500-600 coppers and 20 wheats (mostly 40-50 and about 1-2 1939 and below) and it has been like that for 7 boxes. I wonder if anyone got skunked on these and is this normal? Seems like pennies always yield something in every box. I hope I don't run across a CRH dump one day though...

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use Cents as a faith booster or faith in CRH rebuilder after several silver skunks because you always find something.

To give you an idea I bought a loose bag that had 23.80 and also a full box of 25.00. The loose bag had a high copper rate over 11.50 in copper FV and 3 wheats. The box yielded 6.80 in copper FV and 11 Wheats.

My average is 20-22% copper FV and 8 or 9 wheats per box.

To get a good average of boxes look up threads titled Dad vs Tanner Wheat wars #1-48. This is a great thread by a father son team that compete on several levels, most wheats, oldest coin, most canadians, oldest canadians, and slugs not sure on FV. Very well laid out results to give you an idea and a fun thread to read.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Xiao,

That seems about average. Tanner and I a have only been skunked once. That was from a $25 box of customer rolled cents in nasty old wrappers. We found no wheats, but it was solid copper which we released back into the wild. We do not save the copper cents, we search cents for fun and halves for fun and profit.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I have gotten several boxes of pure zinc. They were mixed date but had no copper.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first CRH dump the other day. No wheats but it still had $5.87 in copper 1982's. ??? So just because it is a CRH'ers dump doesn't mean that there aren't potentially some good things still in there.

I usually average about 25% copper and 10 wheats per box. So your results seem to be in line with what I'm seeing.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
My kids and I search penny boxes for:
1) Wheats and 2) Canadian 3.24 gm 98% coppers (1979 and earlier)

We have never been shunk so far!
Average yield per box 5-10 wheats and 10-20 pre 1980 Canadians.

In the last 12 months I have found 2 Indian heads

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread