Question about rectangular nail head

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I was going through a few old nails that I found recently. This one caught my eye. It appears to have a design on the head. It looks like an O. The design is intentional. It isn’t from a nail set, or other damage. The nail is rectangular and the end is broken off. The head is slightly off-center. I don’t believe it’s a horseshoe nail. It looks too thick and doesn’t have a beveled shoulder. Has anyone seen a nail head line this? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 20

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How long is it? Just wondering...maybe you could heat it up and make a knife blade out of it.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I should have looked closer. The picture of the head didn’t post. Here it is. Sorry for the mistake. I’ll edit it to the original post too.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 10

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I'd be willing to bet it's more modern as in the early years when square nails started to be produced by machines instead of hand. We have buckets galore of square nails with the numbers on the nail head. If I remember correctly the numbers had something to do with railroad usage or atleast initially anyways. The nails you have appears to more like an O rather than a zero. I don't think I've ever seen a nail numbered 0. It's still a nice nail, I'd brush it off and reuse it!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going through a few old nails that I found recently. This one caught my eye. It appears to have a design on the head. It looks like an O. The design is intentional. It isn’t from a nail set, or other damage. The nail is rectangular and the end is broken off. The head is slightly off-center. I don’t believe it’s a horseshoe nail. It looks too thick and doesn’t have a beveled shoulder. Has anyone seen a nail head line this? Thanks
If I had dug it I would of thought it was just a horseshoe nail. (Clipped off) Interesting head with the raised circle.
Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 6.27.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 7.38.24 AM.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions