Question About Teller Trays

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Just started looking for random half dollar rolls yesterday. I've been to 4 banks. One bank had two CWRs and the other had two BWRs. I asked each teller for half dollars and each reached into their tray and grabbed the rolls.

My question is: Does each teller have his/her own "inventory" in the tray? I politely asked each teller if the bank had any more rolls that I could purchase. Both tellers did not even bother asking any other associates and told me that's all they had. So basically I am wondering if teller tray "inventory" is split between all the tellers that day. The one teller this morning had two half rolls. Does that mean the other tellers would have two half rolls as well? Thanks!

Upvote 0

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just because one teller has 2 rolls, doesnt mean another will also. Who knows how they got those rolls, someone may have deposited the coins prior. When they get a lot of loose coins they will just roll them up too. As far as I have seen, halves are not part of any regular "inventory" which makes sense, that denomination is not really used at all by most people.

On that note, I need to stop paying food delivery drivers in halves, I foresee terrible things being done to my food in the near future, if not already.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
On that note, I need to stop paying food delivery drivers in halves, I foresee terrible things being done to my food in the near future, if not already.

LOL.

Who knows how they got those rolls, someone may have deposited the coins prior. When they get a lot of loose coins they will just roll them up too.

The teller at the CU this morning told me that they don't usually carry halves. All their "inventory" is from customer deposits. I guess it just irked me that she did not ask any of the other tellers if they had any halves. What if I did not get that teller this morning? Would another teller just tell me that she did not have halves? To me it's like going to flea market with multiple vendors (tellers) and only able to shop at one vendor (teller). I would look like an idiot going back in line and hoping to get another teller.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The tellers most likely knew who had halves and who doesn't have halves. Often, if there is a CRHer that goes to the bank, tellers will gather all the halves at one drawer so it is easier for them.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes that makes sense. I'm basing all this on my limited experience. It's just I have not had one teller ask any other tellers if they had halves. The tellers that have helped me "conveniently" have all the halves in the entire bank.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all tellers are different. some will ask and others will not. some will even ask to vault teller if there are any in the vault. and some banks will have 1 teller with all the halves but not all banks. when I ask I state " any halves in the bank ...do u think any of the other tellers have any " today the girl said " all i have is 2 " ( not silver ) i asked if that was all in the bank and she asked all the tellers...................... 12 40% from one teller all the way down the counter. they counted them in front of me with out a puzzled look !! this is the same bank that gave me 42 40% 2 weeks ago because the guy who looked at them said they werent old enough for him !!! HONEY HOLE !!!!

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I'd say if they don't automatically ask the other tellers say something. I will usually say "do any of the other tellers have any?" A lot of tellers are looking to do as little as possible to make you go away. Ultimately though most will check with the other tellers if you ask because it is easier than arguing with you.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put that into my original request -- "do you, or any of you, have any?"

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget if they get coin from another teller they have to go through giving the other teller coin or bills for the halfs they have. If the teller doesn't want to go through the hassle (spelled) customer service, they'll just brush you off.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Has a teller ever pulled half dollars from a bank vault for anyone? I would have to agree with BillyOceansEleven that it would probably be too much of a hassle for the teller but it's their job.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Has a teller ever pulled half dollars from a bank vault for anyone? I would have to agree with BillyOceansEleven that it would probably be too much of a hassle for the teller but it's their job.

I have. Some tellers can actually be quite helpful, although I stand by my statement that many are lazy. However, every time they have pulled from the vault for me it was full boxes. My experience is that anything less than a full box the tellers are expected to keep in their individual vaults/tills, and anything more (unless it is an ordered box) gets bagged and shipped out almost immediately. This also keeps with my experience as a teller many moons ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread