Questions About Florida Laws

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom why are you insisting on making it so hard? If state park doesn't have a sign saying it is ok to detect than you ask on each entry. Again it is up to each park manager and it can change over night. It is really very simple, "Hello, I'm wanting to detect the beach, is it okay?" "Thanks, here is my $5.00".....

This answers my question. That each day you must re-ask. Because as you say, "it might change overnight". And each person arriving asks again, despite seeing his buddy out there who might already have asked, etc..... Got it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... is this just a scab you keep picking at that won't stop bleeding?

Ha, not at all. TH'r has answered the "scab": That md'rs must again and again, no matter how often you get a yes. And that a "yes" doesn't transfer to anyone else, or anytime else. And that this requirement is apparently in writing in actual law (and not just commentary someone added later). Hence indisputable. I find it crazy, but the proof does actually seem to be there !

Thus that answers my question.

In your guys's opinion, are FL hunters doing this ? What if you hunt arrive at 5am (for a low tide) and the office isn't open yet. You can't hunt till they're open to tell you "yes", right ? Is there an after-hours # you can call, or.... ?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
But only after you've asked daily, each time you show up. Right ?

No. no no no nine negative nope not no no no no no no no

Nobody there to ask.

Go detect the beach.

State parks are an extremely minute portion of Florida beaches. Just ask the park ranger when you pay to enter the park.

Please don't come to Florida. (ever, the state if full)

Thank you.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No.
What is ... is. :)

What will be... will be.

The people that "run things" all know me anyway.
They see me and wave... if we cross paths they are always so considerate and respectful to me.
I have no troubles with anyone.
Seems they either like me... or tolerate me :P

:)
Anyway... no one really gives a crap about detecting on public beaches.
Only beaches where is has been prohibited... these are few and far between... and are state park related.
A beach behind a hotel or some stretch of beach is free reign... no one gives a hoot.

Besides... to enforce a metal detecting prohibition state wide would require an army... all day everyday.

When I show up to detect... those who have been at any of my spots for any time and know me... run over to say hello and tell me about how when they finally buy a detector they want me to teach them how to use it etc.
:)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, not at all. TH'r has answered the "scab": That md'rs must again and again, no matter how often you get a yes. And that a "yes" doesn't transfer to anyone else, or anytime else. And that this requirement is apparently in writing in actual law (and not just commentary someone added later). Hence indisputable. I find it crazy, but the proof does actually seem to be there !

Thus that answers my question.

In your guys's opinion, are FL hunters doing this ? What if you hunt arrive at 5am (for a low tide) and the office isn't open yet. You can't hunt till they're open to tell you "yes", right ? Is there an after-hours # you can call, or.... ?

If you arrive at 5 am you can't get in period, it is a state park and closed.....I would venture to say calling the park manger at 5am would be the quickest way to lose detecting rights. Again your making a mountain out of a mole hill, we have little over 660 miles of public beaches here, if you want to hunt at 5 am there are plenty of public beaches with no park hours to be concerned about..

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you arrive at 5 am you can't get in period, it is a state park and closed.....I would venture to say calling the park manger at 5am would be the quickest way to lose detecting rights.

See! You have made the point. If I wanted to hunt a beach at 4:55am and there is nobody to ask because my friend already had a guy tell him yes I'd be okay unless I looked at the posted rules that were at the kiosk on the park and not updated from the night before by the ranger who didn't tell me no for 3 out of 7 day's that I didn't ask but the other guy did which means we can't go there anymore as they didn't publish it in the unknown location of the law about the closed part of the public beach at the park.

So there neyah!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif
Can't wait to get back down to Florida so I can go MD'ng on the beach!:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GIB and Th'r , thanx for the input. Laughed at the tongue-in-cheek GIB answer of post #27. And loved the "reality check" of AARC @ #25. Very interesting. And a good commentary on the evolution of such things and how they got-to-be.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heh...The reality is... no one cares if you metal detect... as long as...

You follow the rules... lol

:P

No but really... Like my signature states... " Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. "... and of course respect others... which is a "civil" thing not an MD thing.
Be polite and friendly...
Be low key and leave no trace but foot steps...
And you will find you can go a long way without troubles from others.

This prolly would apply in most other states as well I would imagine.

canaddar

Greenie
Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, everyone, I have never metal detected, or treasure hunted before, but am super interested in learning more about it. I am from Florida, near the beach which is where I would like to try out some metal detecting eventually, but I am so very confused on the laws regarding what you can and can not do. I saw some other Florida posts on here as well as some on other websites that were helpful, but still did not clear everything up.

Here is what I have found so far, condensed:

You are required to have a metal detecting permit in Fort Pierce, Ocala, Orange County, and Polk County.

The use of metal detectors is prohibited on all state park lands, except for coastal parks in the beach zone between the high water mark and toe of the dune. Park managers have the authority at coastal state parks to further restrict the use of metal detectors and prohibit their use on the beach. A hobbyist interested in metal detecting should contact the park manager for the specific rules at the park he wishes to visit.

Cant damage any Army Corps of Engineers stuff.

Metal detecting is allowed on BLM lands as long as no artifacts are removed.

Can't metal detect at all on Bureau of Reclamation stuff unless you have a permit.

National Forests: Metal detector use is allowed in developed campgrounds and picnic areas if they are not specifically closed to such activity. Can't mess with any artifact sites.

National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Forests and Public Property: Can't metal detect at all.

The above stuff in more detail can be found at: MDHTALK - Florida Metal Detecting Law & Regulations

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I have found so far, condensed:

You are required to have a metal detecting permit in Fort Pierce, Ocala, Orange County, and Polk County.

The use of metal detectors is prohibited on all state park lands, except for coastal parks in the beach zone between the high water mark and toe of the dune. Park managers have the authority at coastal state parks to further restrict the use of metal detectors and prohibit their use on the beach. A hobbyist interested in metal detecting should contact the park manager for the specific rules at the park he wishes to visit.

Cant damage any Army Corps of Engineers stuff.

Metal detecting is allowed on BLM lands as long as no artifacts are removed.

Can't metal detect at all on Bureau of Reclamation stuff unless you have a permit.

National Forests: Metal detector use is allowed in developed campgrounds and picnic areas if they are not specifically closed to such activity. Can't mess with any artifact sites.

National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Forests and Public Property: Can't metal detect at all.

The above stuff in more detail can be found at: MDHTALK - Florida Metal Detecting Law & Regulations

Can't hunt Ocala National Forest............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions