Quick Question about MDing in Houston

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
Quick Question about MD'ing in Houston

I am still pretty new to MD'ing and have been learning my machine for the last 2 months or so. I know all about the metal detecting restrictions at precinct 4 parks. Today, my wife and I met my brother in law for lunch after church. On the way back home, I saw a sign for a park in precint 3 (Harris County). We drove in and it looks like a nice place to try. There was a historical marker and it dates back pre-1900. My question is, if there is a historical marker there, does that make it off limits (state recognized historic area or something)? I have researched precinct 3's website and it is pretty straight forward with no mention of metal detectors. My main concern is sights with a historic marker. Does it's presence technically present a roadblock with the antiquities folks in Austin?

HHg in Austin

Greenie
Aug 21, 2007
Not necessarily......MANY (and I mean a whole bunch) of the State Markers

have been placed on PRIVATE property. If the marker is on PRIVATE property, and YOU have permission from the landowner, you may detect with NO implications or concerns. My guess is that if the marker is within the boundaries of the County Park, the land is probably county owned and you would be required to comply with whatever laws/regulations the County has in place !

Later !
HHg

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Re: Quick Question about MD'ing in Houston

TexasDeere said:
I am still pretty new to MD'ing and have been learning my machine for the last 2 months or so. I know all about the metal detecting restrictions at precinct 4 parks. Today, my wife and I met my brother in law for lunch after church. On the way back home, I saw a sign for a park in precint 3 (Harris County). We drove in and it looks like a nice place to try. There was a historical marker and it dates back pre-1900. My question is, if there is a historical marker there, does that make it off limits (state recognized historic area or something)? I have researched precinct 3's website and it is pretty straight forward with no mention of metal detectors. My main concern is sights with a historic marker. Does it's presence technically present a roadblock with the antiquities folks in Austin?

Those parks listed on the precinct 3's website....look to be all Harris county owned.......not city owned. Even though their website doesn't specify metal detector use county parks should be treated like a state park. Texas has some strict rules......don't want to see you get fined or worse.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea, I am thinking bout just heading west on 290 for a few miles from Cypress and find a spot. I want to get out and metal detect somewhere since I can't get to the beach.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are not a member of the Tomball club you should join. I live in Cypress also. Some members of the Tomball club water detect and can help you find some spots. TARC meeting is next Wednesday 7:00 p.m. Matthews park just outside Tomball.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is great. I was just checking into when the next meeting is. I will be there on Wed @ 7pm to meet and visit with some people. Do you know how much is it to join the club?

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome to attend the first meeting as a guest. I think the fee is somewhere around 30 or 35 something like that. I would suggest joining at the meeting as we are having a "closed" (members only) club hunt next month (exact date has not been set yet) and you will need to pay for that ($25) if you want to participate. It was a lot of fun last year and should be this year too! See you there.

djrocker

Greenie
Aug 28, 2012
Spring, Texaas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150 / BH Camo LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you gentlemen, I am in the Spring area and very new to the hobby. I am looking forward to meeting you and joining the club as well!
David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread