Quite awhile your a Head Ahead

Bodhi69

Jul 31, 2017
Treasure Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fischer Aquanaut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting the beaches down here on the Space Coast & Treasure coast for a few months. Ever refining my technique and always hoping to find that elusive 1715 Fleet Treasure Artifact.
While I have done well finding newer coins and other miscellaneous Items I have decided that it might be time to move a little further in land and hunt in some of the older parts of town. Please keep in mind that Melbourne Fl (my home) wasn't even inhabited by anyone except Indians until about 1870. With this being the case I don't expect to find any colonial coins or really much of anything from the early 1800's however after digging up so many clad coins I was hoping to at least find a pre 1964 coin.
Today was my first hunt in a part of town that I knew to have some historical background. It started off with a few immediate finds ... a couple of clad nickels and newer pennies. After an hour and a half of searching I started my hunt on the way back to the car. Halfway back to my car I got a good signal and approximately 3 inches down I found another penny. This time however it looked a little different and even with my waning eye site I could tell it was an Indian head penny. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. Maybe it was a Canadian penny.
When I got back to the car and rinsed the penny off a little better I discovered it was actually a 1903 Indian head penny.
While I know many of you in the North find these on a pretty normal basis I was very pleased to find one.
After all this town had only been founded 20 years before this coin was struck.
Of course after this find I turned back around to find the 1903 5 dollar gold piece that also surely had fallen out of their pocket when they lost this penny.
At this point it was about 1 o'clock and the sun down hear was cooking me alive. Covered in dirt and sweat I found 3 Budweiser cans, a piece of pipe, two pull tabs and a machine part. All junk.
Moral or the story - I should have quite while I was an Indian head penny Ahead.
But of course all the find did was give me enough of a taste to wet my appetite. I am dying to go back out and hunt for more.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503954792.130106.jpg

Upvote 7

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting