Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20161228_180737704.jpg

Dug this up today. Didn't know what it was supposed to be. Got home and cleaned it up. Totally confused I consulted the internet and boy was I shocked - turns out this artifact is a child's toy that dates from about 1890-1900! They were made of silver and were essentially bell rattle/whistle toys. They were given to babies and young children by their wealthy victorian parents. Hard to believe as these are very small toys and children can easily choke on them, but back then I guess the adults didn't know too much about child safety.

IMG_20161228_180900705.jpg IMG_20161228_180910904.jpg

There are three big silver bells and two little silver bells. The bells are connected to the handle that also serves as the whistle. There is a maker's stamp on the bottom that reads "RJK". According to the sources I can find online there were many varieties of silver bell rattle/whistles made in the late 1800's and this is one of the more rare examples. Prices for surviving examples vary between $200-$400. :headbang:

Upvote 39

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unbelievable it didn't get squashed in the dirt. Awesome find. Congrats on a unique find

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
This beautiful and intricate piece of Victorian silver shows the differences on how a previous generation viewed child care. I hope this historical piece makes a BANNER find for you. These must be quite scarce.

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool and unique find!!! Love it! Congrats!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What a find. No crushing, damage or bends! What's the best way to clean something like that?

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find. No crushing, damage or bends! What's the best way to clean something like that?

Well when I found it all I had to do was bend the handle back so it would be straight and then I just put it under the running water of my kitchen sink to get the dirt off. Some soap and hot water works wonders :icon_thumleft:
Oh and the whistle part I just used a toothpick to clean it out.

Last edited:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised this hasn't made banner yet?? Can I vote banner twice. Lol

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a unique find, and in excellent condition! Would love to see some pics of that fresh out of the ground. That would have been a real head-scratcher for me.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score UM, I voted Banner, this is the 1st one I have seen posted in the past 3 plus years that I have been here at Tnet.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score UM, I voted Banner, this is the 1st one I have seen posted in the past 3 plus years that I have been here at Tnet.

Thanks Loco! :occasion14: I hear ya, when I saw it for the first time I thought it was some sort of junk bells off the end of a fishing rod or something, when it was cleaned up it still confused me until I looked it up online. Until then I didn't even know such a thing exited.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jeff of PA's post doesn't show a sold price on it, HOWEVER, it does talk about the piece and states that he had it appraised by a gentleman at Heritage Auction House. 100 likes and the rattle sold. I am wondering if you should try to contact them and maybe they can tell you what it sold for and if they want to sell another one.

It might be worth a very pretty penny and be the centerpiece of someones collection with you reaping the reward. Totally up to you but a thought.

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your last two park hunts has been awfully amazing ,condition of all the antique silver found with your Ace is sick !
Time to celebrate , with a tall glassful of vino, :occasion14: cheers !

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is awesome Cong scarce I was thinking this was to call the servant in a big house, funny for kids . This would be banner for me but i guess i,m not able too yet.:-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread