Ready to upgrade, considering Whites MXT Pro or Fisher CZ-3d

BigMerv

Jul 29, 2013
Jackson, MS Metro Area
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3300 with 4", 8", and 10" coils. Time Ranger with 4", 8", 10", and F4 11" DD coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ready to upgrade, considering White's MXT Pro or Fisher CZ-3d

I've started MDing several years ago and bought the newly released Discovery 3300 at RadioShack. I wanted a somewhat fully-featured detector at a bargain price. I added on the 4" and 10" coils, extra lower rods, pinpointer, a decent set of headphones, necessary other items and I was off coil swinging. It's been a great little machine and is a decent performer for the price.

Lately, I've gotten the upgrade fever. Also, I now know that I'm more of a knobs guy, rather than a buttons or touchscreen guy. I've narrowed my search down to the Fisher CZ-3D or the Whites MXT Pro. I think that the CZ would be better on old coins at older sites (where I usually hunt and what it was designed to do) and would be a decent all-around performer, but there are no DD coils for this unit and I don't know how it would do gold prospecting (I hope to get the chance to try it someday).

I feel that the MXT Pro might be a better all-around performer than the CZ-3D, due it's preset programming features and the availability of DD coils. I know that some of the upper White's might be better V3i, etc., but rather than try to discern if I've got a good target or not, I'll just dig it. More than a few times my trash signal has come up gold.

Has anyone on the White's forum used both? What were you opinions on performance, quality of construction, durability, etc.? Ease of use is important, too. I have a VERY high tech job and the thought of having to spend months on a learning curve to get to a level of basic proficiency turns me off. When I look at the upper end White's and Fisher models, I cringe at the complexity of the platforms, but that's just my take. I know both offer great performance. I just like the idea of a turn-on-and-go machine that I can grow into.

Please, no flaming of brands, choices etc. Everybody uses the best MD for THEM and their purpose. I just want some objective and honest feedback. Thanks a million in advance for any insight you can provide. I'm also posting this on the Fisher forum to get their responses as well.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say for the CZ but I do know the MXT and its abilities very well, I've detected with people that use the V3i and a couple times with the E-trac and I can say for sure with the right coil the MXT will detect targets every bit as deep as the V3i or the E-trac, I never feel outgunned with my MXT. The V3i does have some nice features like the freq. offset among others that you don't have with the MXT, going by sound you can tell good targets from trash with the MXT very well and also use the shape and size when pinpointing, the 3 S's you know the sound, shape, and size. The D2 coil is awesome on the MXT, its like an MXT on steroids with that coil and I dig silver dimes at 10"+ with some being at 12". HH

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with wingmaster the MXT Pro is a super machine. I've had a Vx3 & an E-Trac and never found either of them to be "better". More features yes, "better"...never saw it.

I no longer own the MXTP and I have a CZ-3D on the way. It should be an interesting comparo. I'm really looking forward to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread