Really confused about PVC

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
isnt PVC the same as Vinyl?

and also, how can i tell if a coin has early stages of PVC damage?

btw, here is a photo i got from ebay thats says its Vinyl but not PVC (i always thought they were the same)

Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 11.25.48 PM.png

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
PVC is poly-vinyl chloride. Even though they are supposed to not contain PVC, they might have some traces of it. If you want those flips, change them monthly and keep an eye out for environmental conditions. Otherwise, 2x2s are better and require less expense and maintenance.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You want non-plastic flips for long term storage. They 2x2's are suitable, but not something that I consider suitable for my needs. I use Saf-T-Flips. The 2x2's have a very thin mylar film that becomes brittle over time and are susceptible to breaking. Also, the use of staples to close the flip has caused damage to other coins as the thin mylar film does not protect the coin's surface when it comes into abrasive contact with other 2x2's. Think of dealer's inventory in the red sleeve boxes. They are packed full of 2x2's. The 2x2's are constantly being shuffled in/out as customer's leaf through box. The staples have caused additional damage when they inadvertently come in contact with other coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions