Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. They're in good shape too. Oldest coin I found was a 3rd century Roman coin in New Jersey. The ships coming back from WWII used sand as ballast and they dumped it, with some artifacts in it. I don't know where it is at the moment.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting finds and pictures, as usual. Gracias. Oddly, the oldest coin I have found is a 1 real minted in Mexico. 1736. Spanish small silver coins were used extensively in the early settlement of northeastern North America. I found this one at the site of a late 1700s home site. Many of these coins were holed, perhaps to help keep them from being lost by putting them on a string because they are so small and thin. It didn't work in this case but that was eventually to my benefit!

Attachments

• 20240102_194318.jpg
    20240102_194318.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240102_194453.jpg
    20240102_194453.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 7

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Great finds. They're in good shape too. Oldest coin I found was a 3rd century Roman coin in New Jersey. The ships coming back from WWII used sand as ballast and they dumped it, with some artifacts in it. I don't know where it is at the moment.
Smokey

Wooowww, it should be a nice oldest coin. Is it in good shape? Interesting the history of it.

Thanks for sharing, I hope we can see it when you find it, ask your wife, they know everything. ☺️

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Interesting finds and pictures, as usual. Gracias. Oddly, the oldest coin I have found is a 1 real minted in Mexico. 1736. Spanish small silver coins were used extensively in the early settlement of northeastern North America. I found this one at the site of a late 1700s home site. Many of these coins were holed, perhaps to help keep them from being lost by putting them on a string because they are so small and thin. It didn't work in this case but that was eventually to my benefit!
Almy,

Very interesting coin, congrats

Did you searching for more in the same area ?

I heard the same about those holes in them, fortunately did not work and you fund it.

Thanks for sharing, keep in touch

Keep detecting

Happy New detecting days

Jorgeke

bkurent

Jul 20, 2023
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome finds. Oldest coins I have found are 1715 Fleet Spanish coins, but no dates, just late 1600's to early 1700's gold and silver. Oldest coin with a date legible is a 1731 4 reale found in the Florida Keys off shore of a 1733 wrecksite.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Jorgeke: Thanks for the reply. I have detected about 20 of these sites, many of them multiple times, over about 20 years. I have found a great many coppers, a high percentage of them were British halfpennies and their counterfeits. But only 4 Spanish silvers (all minted in Mexico) and all in the 1700s and all well-worn. These 4 silvers came from different homesites, never more than one on to a site. They certainly were not as common as the coppers, or at least they were lost a lot less!
Please keep detecting and posting! I really enjoy your posts.
The ground is frozen here now, so it looks like detecting is over until spring.
Almy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread