Recent Surface Finds Part 2

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Here's a few more finds from the past week.

The first pic is of a few brachiopods. These were already separated from their matrix, so all we had to do is pick them up!

brachiopods.jpg

In total, we probably found about 40 of these.

The next pic shows the variety of shell types we found in this location:

shells2_640x427.jpg

This next specimen is a concretion. I sawed it in two, then polished it to show the structure. I was expecting it to be oval but was surprised at the irregular interior. Any guesses on how it formed?

geode1_640x427.jpg

The last specimen is a first for me.

pecopteris.jpg

It's broken in 3 pieces, but nothing a little superglue can't fix! I believe this might be Pecopteris. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate help id'ing it.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some neat stuff! I love to find fossils too... The fern is really great.....No guess on the concretion... ???

Nana ;)

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Neat finds. I notice in one photo you have a Spirifer brach. These are Ordovician in age?

Fossils are fun
George

OP
OP
futzman

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Yes, I'm a bit confused by some of my finds because these fossils are coming from the Oologah and Fort Scott Limestone formations in NE Oklahoma.? These rocks are supposed to be Pennslyvanian in age.? A few of the fossils I'm finding appear to be much older (Devonian to Silurian). Also, the mollusca fossil looks identical to modern molluscs in Lake Oologah and I've found none of them in the rocks, only isolated ones around the beach areas.

Since I posted these pictures I've found several more spiriferids and a couple of Enchinoconchus semipunctatus specimens, one that I've rescued from solid rock.? I can't find any references to E. semipunctatus being found in Oklahoma at all.? E. semipunctatus is a pretty large brachiopod.? The one I extracted from rock measures around 70mm length and width.? This brachiopod is supposedly Penn in age which is consistent with the geological maps I have of the area.? I'll post some pics later today.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I have found a few large sperifers in Pennsylvanian age rocks but they were rare. The other brachs are very close to the Penn. age fossils in Ohio I collected so long ago. So I guess you are correct on your time placement.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions