tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was out today I stopped by this old mine site to have a look around. Most of what you see is old rusty iron and lots of busted glass. I like to try and figure out what these old things laying around are and how old they could be?. I kicked up this old crank and didn't give much thought at the time what it was once a part of. Checking it out tonight against the picture I took I thought I'd first look in to a Ford model T crank and sure enough that's what it is. Starting Crank for Model T Ford Original | eBay Not a big treasure find but fun to research and try and try figure out what it is anyways.

Attachments

• model t crank.jpg
    model t crank.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have been my guess, but of course it was before my time! Cool find!

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A crank for ???

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A crank for ???
I'm thinking a model T Ford ??? . Compared to this one on Ebay and one other that list them as an OEM correct for the model years 1915-1921 is how the 1st picture is listed and the 2nd picture is listed as a Mod. T crank for years 1908 to 1927. I'm I wrong on this? When I spotted it, I just thought it was an old hand crank to any possible thing such as an old industrial winch of some kind?

Attachments

• model t crank on ebay.jpg
    model t crank on ebay.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 54
  • model t crank online.jpg
    model t crank online.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Back in those days there were hundreds of car manufacturers besides Ford. I agree it's likely a hand starter crank for some sort of car or truck. Which make it's for might always remain a mystery.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in those days there were hundreds of car manufacturers besides Ford. I agree it's likely a hand starter crank for some sort of car or truck. Which make it's for might always remain a mystery.
Guess I'll have to go back and retrieve it and take measurements and post it on What Is It ? Indeed it still could be a crank for just about any pre electric or power transmission days.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely look like a pre 20s car starter crank. A lot of the earlier cars did not have an electric starter, thus the hand crank was essential in getting the vehicle started.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely look like a pre 20s car starter crank. A lot of the earlier cars did not have an electric starter, thus the hand crank was essential in getting the vehicle started.
I always thought was cool the way the old fashion cars were started up. I guess there's no telling for sure what it once went to other then a good possibility of an old engine start hand crank. I thought for sure the Ford T from the on I saw on ebay that's listed as an OEM period part. The one I found is identical at least in the picture I took to the one listed on ebay. I did see others also listed as a Ford T crank where that pin hole looked further set back from the end over this one and the one on ebay also. I'll bring this one home and we'll get an overall consensus of opinions on the "what is it" . I'm sure there some so called vintage Ford experts who frequent this site that may offer their expert assistants. I just though I nip this one in the bud and there was no need to figure out what it is?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you cranked those you ALWAYS wanted to make sure that you did not wrap your thumb around it (like when you grab something) or else the back fire would break your arm.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Mr. Kettering

Attachments

• starter inventor.jpg
    starter inventor.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 73

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I collect old Automobile manufacturer tools. Here's most of a Model T tool kit.. Missing the tire pump, hammer, screwdriver & oil can.

Attachments

• IMG_2797.JPG
    IMG_2797.JPG
    680.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect old Automobile manufacturer tools. Here's most of a Model T tool kit.. Missing the tire pump, hammer, screwdriver & oil can.
Nice Collection NHB, I've seen those tools out and about, particularly the old monkey wrench. I never knew the ones I saw as being part of a Ford tool kit. I'm thinking the Model T was never meant for the professional auto mechanic to ever service with all the tools they provided with each one??. I know I've got a open end wrench in my tools that has a Ford logo on it. Are any of the tools your missing rare to come by?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
They are all fairly easy to find. And Ford liked to put their script logo on all of their stuff so it's easy to spot. Not all tools with the Ford script were made for their cars either. I have several wrenches that were from Ford farm tractor tool kits including one that has graduations on the whole length of it marked in inches. It doubled as a wrench as well as a method of checking to see how much fuel was in the tank.. It's not surprising that you've seen the monkey wrench without the logo though. Many of the factory tool kits were made by Moore Drop Forge as well as other tool companies and they supplied tools to most of the car makers. I have some wrenches that look nearly identical to the Ford wrenches but they say Nash on them. Chevrolet tools never said Chevrolet on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all fairly easy to find. And Ford liked to put their script logo on all of their stuff so it's easy to spot. Not all tools with the Ford script were made for their cars either. I have several wrenches that were from Ford farm tractor tool kits including one that has graduations on the whole length of it marked in inches. It doubled as a wrench as well as a method of checking to see how much fuel was in the tank.. It's not surprising that you've seen the monkey wrench without the logo though. Many of the factory tool kits were made by Moore Drop Forge as well as other tool companies and they supplied tools to most of the car makers. I have some wrenches that look nearly identical to the Ford wrenches but they say Nash on them. Chevrolet tools never said Chevrolet on them.
In California early 90s, I had a 1986 BMW 535IS and it had a little tool kit with it, but can't remember if they were marked BMW. That was great little car until I hit a big pothole and threw the alignment way out of wack. They could never get it back to driving straight and true again. It would go through rear tires really bad after that, so I had to let it go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread