Relocation to Denver CO, tips and contacts!

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Pretty new to detecting and I'm finally starting to have luck on local colonial properties. However, I'll be relocating to Denver CO starting in January of 2016. Thought I'd reach out to any local detectorists and ask for any tips or good places to start in the area. Also if there are any regulations or laws that I should be aware of.

Thanks and HH!

Will

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Denver city parks are just about all probe only. No hand trowels. I personally stay away from them when I go that way as I am not a fan of the probe method and from what I hear they enforce it pretty hard. Something to note.

I usually hit up the mountains west of town which are littered with cabins and ghost towns from the old miners. Much of it on public land accessible with a regular car. Other places 4x4 and lift kit needed. Amazes me how they got equipment up there back in the day.

If you will be living there, I would break out the historical neighborhood maps and start knocking on some doors for private property digs. Best of luck and welcome to Colorado.

OP
OP
Sandskimmer

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'll have to do some research on the probe method

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hear there's a club in Denver. A buddy of mine in Ft. Collins used to make the trek down there for their monthly meetings years ago. But not sure if the club is still active or not. He said that some of the members had even pulled some 1916D mercs (go figure, it's right by the Denver mint) from the old parks there. But that the more obvious old town parks had been pounded to smithereens. But like hunterGT says, there's no shortage of little towns, old travel routes, mining, etc... to be explored all around the area.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you like traffic jams. Took me two hours to go from Thornton to Dry Creek road going south on I-25 yesterday. Coming home from Colorado Springs there was a pile-up going north that I spent a good 1/2 hour creeping by bumper to bumper at a crawl. Dig into those Colorado history books and that'll open up for you all kinds of possible leads to hunt down.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Colorado. I live in the mountains in Summit County. Check out the regulations before you start detecting a ghost town on public land. Generally that's prohibited. I detect the modern campsites in national forest without problem, so far. Tailings piles around mines are a prospect for detecting and rockhounding, but keep in mine some claims are still active. I always hope to stumble onto a forgotten highgrader's stash, which is a real possibility up here in the mining country. A conclusion I have come to, is that if those old miners ever had a nickel between them and they lost it, they formed a search party and sifted the dirt til they found it. They did toss around a lot of square nails though, with never a thought to their loss. Good hunting!

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed living in Colorado. I have family up oin Blackhawk and all over Colorado. I hope to get back there avoid all the modern hippies and be able to detect and prospect

OP
OP
Sandskimmer

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys! Sounds like for what I enjoy my best bet is historical private permissions. Tailings will be something new for me! I'm looking forward to it though

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born there, in Craig, been gone a long time. I miss the mountains.

ogoat

Dec 2, 2015
Arvada, Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What part of town are you moving too? West side of the metro is the best if it doesn't place you too far from work. If I had a choice I'd live in Golden. Eureka Treasure Hunters is the name of the local club, I'm going to check them out next month.

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could get away with it I would move back transferring with work would be easy but the kids don't want to leave yet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread