PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I am an old T-hunter from way back. I like the more complex ones and adventurous ones.

One of my pet projects for a few decades has been the elusive LUE treasure that seems to spark emotional responses from farcity to nazis to Spanish.

Regardless, I am about 80% certain that I recently identified a large cache site for this treasure. But, I am unable to make any effort in retrieving it whatsoever. The location is in Northern New Mexico.

Here is what I could use some serious advice and input with.

What do I do with this knowledge?

Do I make it public. (Think of the gold rush mentality)
Do I select a few to share the location with?
Do I sell the information?
Do I try to get partners to retrieve it?
Do I write a book about it and publish it?

Any opinion, advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unless you and your kin are independently wealthy, I see no reason to 'give it away'; especially, after working on this project for "a few decades". That should rule out Option #1 (making it public). Who would buy the book if neither you nor anyone else has yet to find it? That should rule out Option #5. Selling the information would only get you a pittance of what the alleged value of the treasure is worth--nearly as 'bad' as making it public. That, to me, would rule out Option #3 (selling the information). More thoughts later...........
Don.....

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX III,

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Whites coinmaster classic.

Whites Coinmaster 2/D TR- Discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would make an expedition to locate the treasure with someone who can be counted on. Your not that far from New Mexico. I would write a book about how I deciphered the Lue map. That in itself would be interesting. Then if you locate the treasure. Write the book. If you found it by your efforts, you have the rights to benefit from it. Good Luck..!

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. Anyone knowing the superficial details of this treasure would recognize the information as legitimate once described. Unfortunately, it is on property I cannot access. Others may be able to gain access. Perhaps notifying the property owners would mean something. Of course, there is that option they would think the entire project to be lunacy.

There is a site in Colorado I can get to and will be going in a couple of weeks. The site in Colorado has my attention as a priority. The site in NM is a storage cache that should be worth someone's effort. It fits all the Longitude/Latitudes of others. Having some of KVMs and my father's old notes helped somewhat. Oh Well, this site must go to someone else. I can't really see taking it to the grave so to speak.

Thanks,

Patrick

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You mentioned that you are "unable to make any effort in retrieving it whatsoever". Notwithstanding, you may still be in a position to determine who owns the site. Finding out who owns the site (without giving anyone your purpose for asking) can be done with little effort other than telephone/Internet research. Personally, I'd do that first.
Second, I'd determine (again from your 'armchair') is the site accessible? You can get a 'feeling for the area' by going to Google Earth and eyeballing your site--for terrain, structures, fences, roads, etc. At this moment, I've also ruled out your other stated Options until you have determined ownership and accessibility. More later.......
Don...

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Neighbors75,

Just a quick follow up. The map isn't that complicated. It just takes a few outdated skills. (Like navigating with a sextant.) And, it takes knowing 16th century Spanish navigation skills. (North was oriented to the right side of the map.) Those two elements alone will get you to the Sangre de Christo mountains.

It isn't that hard to deduce the rest. Knowing the missing words from the printed map helps some too.

Unfortunately, too many people have made radical assumptions about the map simply because they didn't understand it or wanted it to fit a treasure they were chasing. (Not to sound sarcastic or cynical, but finding an 1800's map of a city doesn't mean it was put there by the Nazis, its a spin puzzle, or anything.) Studying geographical history from the like-kind time period allows one to fill in the blanks as to who occupied the region with the motives to acquire treasure. After all, there were a lot of needs for project funding back in those days.

Here is a photo hint:

cave5.jpg
cave5b.jpg

Of course, it is from the mid 1500's and a little weather worn.

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mackaydon,

Yes, the site is very accessible. A little hiking is involved. I know who owns it. It is just a lower priority from another site I am going to.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don,

The Sangre de Christos do extend down into Northern New Mexico.

Patrick

Last edited:

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Yep, the Sangre de Christo mountains extend in to New Mex and Colo.

What do I do with this knowledge? Keep QUIET.

Do I make it public. (Think of the gold rush mentality) No. Unless you do not fear for your life and want every tom dick and harry, his wife and relatives knocking on your door.
Do I select a few to share the location with? That is your personal preference. If you have some relatives or close friends you can trust then I would let them know. Keep a journal of your movements and locations.
Do I sell the information? No. Why would you want to loose out on the opportunities in case you do find something. It is best to keep quiet. Unless you like paying taxes because you know who will come to collect.
Do I try to get partners to retrieve it? If you have some relatives or close friends you can trust
Do I write a book about it and publish it? Yes. You can after the fact but at the same time No. Due to everyone and their mother will come and bug the heck out of you in some form or other and then you will have to explain to the tax man what you have found and then your legal problems will really begin.

Any opinion, advice or input is appreciated.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, here is my advice. If you are using mayo, switch to Miracle Whip as soon as possible. No fresh tomatoes for one week, and go easy on the acid. We'll be back in touch, as soon as I can find some more tin foil. I wish you the very best of luck with your new book, and stay away from open windows. :occasion14:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Neighbors75,

Just a quick follow up. The map isn't that complicated. It just takes a few outdated skills. (Like navigating with a sextant.) And, it takes knowing 16th century Spanish navigation skills. (North was oriented to the right side of the map.) Those two elements alone will get you to the Sangre de Christo mountains.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Interesting project. I'm wondering why you would use a sextant? The sextant wasn't invented until 1757. They are still in use today by several professions that I'm pretty sure don't consider their skills "outdated". It's a good skill to learn congratulations on putting in the extra effort to learn the skill.

The "East as North" on maps was pretty much abandoned by the mid 16th century after Martin Waldseemüller's 1507 world map changed the map making world. I don't know the LUE map but I'd be surprised if the mapmaker was still using east as top unless they were an amateur.

Good luck on your treasure hunt. Look at the County Assessors to find out who the owner of the land is. If the owners are Spanish Grantees I'd just move on to the next adventure. Uvaldo and his fellow Grantees don't appreciate unannounced visitors.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clay knows more about maps and map making than I ever will, and his words are solid. That said, cut back on the acid, seriously.:occasion14:

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Terry Soloman,

Now that is funny. I got a good laugh out of that.

Thanks a little bit of humor goes a long way.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Clay, have you ever seen any map similar to KVM’s LUE Map ?

If you allow that the published LUE Map was a hand drawn copy by KVM and “Hardrock” Hammond et al, have you seen evidence that the Spaniards or Jesuits or Mexicans ever designed maps or waybills solely using geometric designs ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread