Restored 1938 Winchester

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up a M-94 that was pretty rough. Stripped and polished out all the pits, pitched the broken stock and restocked it. Inlayed some gold and reblued.
IMG_0796.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg
IMG_0787.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg
IMG_0789.jpeg
IMG_0791.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful looking restoration, certainly a eye pleaser.
I tip my hat to your skills in restoration work.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are all I have. I should have taken more pics to show the wood. I actually bought two together that were both pretty rough. The other was made the first yr of production and I sold it to a collector. I paid $1400 for the pair and sold the older one for $1000. I cut my own walnut and milled it, then paid a guy with a duplicator $150 to turn the wood. Rear sight was around $100 and reblue was another $150 so I have around $800 in it plus my time.
DSC07075.JPG
DSC07076.JPG

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
These are all I have. I should have taken more pics to show the wood. I actually bought two together that were both pretty rough. The other was made the first yr of production and I sold it to a collector. I paid $1400 for the pair and sold the older one for $1000. I cut my own walnut and milled it, then paid a guy with a duplicator $150 to turn the wood. Rear sight was around $100 and reblue was another $150 so I have around $800 in it plus my time. View attachment 2111540 View attachment 2111541
The before pictures (I'm always guilty of that request) make the restoration all that much better. Great return on your money.

I inherited a 1973 Marlin Original Golden-39M from my dad (He won it in 74 as a door prize, when he purchased his Winchester 94 antique).

Later in life the buttstock was split in two, and missing the bullseye. The front sight had been lost to time. Had a furniture restorer fix the buttstock, you can't tell it was ever cracked. Replaced the bullseye and sight hood. She has a little frecklng on the metal, but she's 100% complete and functional.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Barrel was okay with few pits. I shot it before I disassembled it and I was kind of disappointed. Iā€™d never fired a 38-55 and it was a pop gun. Iā€™m more used to a 30-06. The 38-55 was originally a black powder cartridge. I think the ammo companies keep them loaded light in case someone uses them in an older black powder gun. A liability deal. I havenā€™t fired it since restoration. Itā€™s a safe queen until I get tired of it and sell it and do another one. Iā€™m working on a Remington 22, restocking a Win M-70, and want to start on a stock for my Ruger 77-22. No shortage of things to keep me busy all winter. Thanks for looking.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Barrel was okay with few pits. I shot it before I disassembled it and I was kind of disappointed. Iā€™d never fired a 38-55 and it was a pop gun. Iā€™m more used to a 30-06. The 38-55 was originally a black powder cartridge. I think the ammo companies keep them loaded light in case someone uses them in an older black powder gun. A liability deal. I havenā€™t fired it since restoration. Itā€™s a safe queen until I get tired of it and sell it and do another one. Iā€™m working on a Remington 22, restocking a Win M-70, and want to start on a stock for my Ruger 77-22. No shortage of things to keep me busy all winter. Thanks for looking.

Son you have a lot to keep yourself busy. If not too much of a bother, keep us posted on the work on the others. Love seeing neglected rescues come back to life.

I have no experience with 38-55, but I was surprised at how anemic the 32 ACP round was with the Yugoslavian M70 pistol I recently picked up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread