River Shots

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still need a boat .8-)

005.JPG .... 007.JPG

There is a big Turtle on the other bank if you look close.
&
010.JPG

The sign if readable ? Describes the area & it's history.
Thx Y'all

008.JPG

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the pics, Davers. Am I the only one that finds that plaque a little laughable? Who the heck wrote that? It sounds like Sherman's army was on holiday. Swimming, hiking, picking berries and playing baseball. "Often the men would go out seeking food." Uhh...foraging parties confiscated at gun point all of the available food and livestock in the area, thus "sometimes were fired upon." The burning of downtown Atlanta, and much of Georgia must have interrupted their berry picking and baseball occasionally.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pics, Davers. Am I the only one that finds that plaque a little laughable? Who the heck wrote that? It sounds like Sherman's army was on holiday. Swimming, hiking, picking berries and playing baseball. "Often the men would go out seeking food." Uhh...foraging parties confiscated at gun point all of the available food and livestock in the area, thus "sometimes were fired upon." The burning of downtown Atlanta, and much of Georgia must have interrupted their berry picking and baseball occasionally.

You know kray ?

Ill admit , I did not read the marker that well as I was worried about my car parked in a crazy spot + getting run over.

I did read it well 'To make sure it was readable in my post ' & found the lines you mentioned "very interesting" esp, the Baseball part , i'm pretty sure this would have been at the end of May 1864 right before or 'as' Sherman's troops were going to move SW toward Dallas GA & Pickets Mill , New Hope Church where size-able battles took place . Then by mid June US & CSA forces battled @ Kennessaw Mt , & surrounding areas, before moving on Atlanta .

I guess they felt pretty safe going out to forage & were likely sick of just Fish ? On wanted some "Fixin's" to go with their fishes .???

That river is Dammed about a mile or 2 east of that area (Creating Lake Allatoona ) & that put much history underwater & as I found out in 2016 ish Off limits to detecting as its Army Core Of Engineers land.

So in short I found those statements very interesting indeed.

I learn more everyday , or try to.
Thanks for the Great Reply .
Davers

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The first question that popped in my mind was, "are those old pillars for rail?" You answered it. I, also, found the remarks on the plaque a little interesting. They must have felt safe there to be able to do those things.

I'm glad you are posting pics again! Thanks for the history lesson!

~Sis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread