Rock question

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m posting this here instead of the Geology forums. I want input from the artifact folks.
I’ve noticed that I find quite a few rocks like the one in the photos, when I am in fields that produce a lot of flint flakes. I don’t know if they are magnetite, iron ore, or what. The rocks are not magnetic, but a magnet sticks to them quite well.
Is their presence coincidental? These rocks are heavier than other similar sized stones in the area. Would they have been used to break off flakes? I’m not saying they are artifacts. I just wonder if the weight made them conducive as strikers.
I’ve kept the ones I found in the 3 fields I hunt. I can post more photos if it matters.
It seems odd that these show up on the hillocks where the flakes are concentrated.
Thanks for any input. 👍🏼
IMG_2615.jpeg
IMG_2616.jpeg

Upvote 3

JKicker

Jul 10, 2017
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Minelab X Terra 705
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a rock is just a rock and its location is where nature dropped it.

I understand your curiosity and you wanting to understand, but don't burn yourself out trying to fit a rock into some category.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t see anything on that one that says it’s been modified, maybe they have a high iron content… iron stone, hematite comes to mind… not pure hematite but maybe a sandstone made of a hematite rich sand

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gritty, heavy igneous rocks do work well for hammerstones. Once you find a nice hammer stone and use it often it usually takes on a rounded shape. I’m not seeing that on your rocks. Best way to tell is experiment. Get a piece of flint and bang on it with your rock and see how it works.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Gritty, heavy igneous rocks do work well for hammerstones. Once you find a nice hammer stone and use it often it usually takes on a rounded shape. I’m not seeing that on your rocks. Best way to tell is experiment. Get a piece of flint and bang on it with your rock and see how it works.
I will do that. I just found it unusual how I find these 2 things together, in good quantities, only on the hilltops of 3 separate fields. Thanks.👍🏼

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread