Rock tumbler kit under the tree Help ??????

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kids got me a rock tumbler kit lortone to clean thousands of dirty coins to take to the bank I get the mixture ect but I have the blue stones for silver bronze copper I don't have the red for silver nickel gold I want to clean all my clad quarters and dimes what color rocks do I use rrrrr I can call Monday but was hoping someone could tell me sooner Thanks and Merry Christmas all!!!!

Upvote 6

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a bag of play sand and a bag of pea gravel. A little of each with a bit of Dawn works well for me. Then I dump them into a Coin Star.

Best of luck to you!

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Harbor Freight dual tumbler.
I use 3 TBS of course salt along with lime juice (just enough to cover the coins) for my coins and that has always worked fine for me.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nu Finish car wax is pretty useful in polishing brass cartridge casings for reloading, as well as tumble media like you are suggesting. Two capfuls usually does the trick.

YMMV

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use comet and a little water to clean coins in my tumbler

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time ever using the tumbler I used the blue stones that came with it ran for 4 to 5 hours coins came very clean but have a pinkish tint on some and this was the very first run no pennies or anything else so the pinkish color a little weird I'm going to try the salt and lemon juice and will post pics of both results!!! Here is what I do when the ground is frozen well it keeps me busy... Ill get my detecting fix for the day or two!!!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could tumble the coins without any gravel at all, it would just take longer. You don't need a lot of gravel in the barrel, and certainly don't need it half full of gravel. Fill the barrel 1/3 to 1/2 with coins, add a handful of gravel and a little bit of water. Don't fill the barrel full of anything. The cleaning occurs as the contents cascade from the top edge to the bottom during rotation. Too much gravel and you are missing out on room for coins. Too much coins/gravel and they can't roll and slide around. Too much water will slow down the cascading action and cause it to take a LOT longer to get coins cleaned.

Don't worry about chemicals, or tumbling clad until it looks shiny and new. Your goal should be to be clean enough to process though coin counters without jamming them up with crud.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello A2,

I need to buy one too with all the clad collecting dust in our basement. The best we have done thus far is separate Q, D, N, P & zinc coins into large Tupperware bins.

Doc

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I tumbled with the solution of salt and distilled white vinegar, with clad & cents in separate tumbles.

They all turned white green.

I'll be tumbling them again using aquarium gravel.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the recipe from loco digger fill coins 1/3 3 tbl spoons salt and lemon juice top the top of the coins 1/2 hour later wow do clad and pennies seperatly Tis is the best best recipe I call it" LOCO COCO" I had I posted a little while ago and showed my coins before and after here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...rcury-all-thanks-loco-digger-your-recipe.html The pennies you can see in the jar are before loco coco and the two piles of pennies the befor and after all the quarters dimes nickels are after all these clad were very dark Mi coins

Last edited:

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put them in the tumbler by themselves and let them bang around on each other to clean up. Not using stone allows more coins.

I just need them clean enough to go into a counter

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I find that what I did wrong tumbling with vinegar & salt was that I didn't immediately rinse them.

I tumbled a batch of clad with just the aquarium rocks & water and they came out clean but still blackened.

I tumbled the same batch again just adding a teaspoon of dish detergent and in about an hour they came up clean & pretty. Now I just need to go out and dig up some more!

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ended up getting the harbor Frieght $35 tumbler (had a coupon). Yes - even a couple pennies mixed in with clad makes for a not so nice pink hue......lesson learned - aside form that works fine - lime juice and salt method and aguariom gravel/soap H20 method. Nice little investment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread