Roller crusher

Load77

Apr 10, 2021
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a good jaw crusher that’s mounted on a frame with two big metal i-beams.
I’d like to build a roller crusher below it to reduce it to 1/8”- to feed my ball mill with.
My question is, what is a good size reduction ratio for a roller crusher? The quartz comes out of my jaw crusher at about 1”-. Will I need more than one set of rollers to reduce it to 1/8”-?
I’ve never seen a roller crusher in action, so I’m not familiar with what they’re capable of.

Thanks for any help!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a good jaw crusher that’s mounted on a frame with two big metal i-beams.
I’d like to build a roller crusher below it to reduce it to 1/8”- to feed my ball mill with.
My question is, what is a good size reduction ratio for a roller crusher? The quartz comes out of my jaw crusher at about 1”-. Will I need more than one set of rollers to reduce it to 1/8”-?
I’ve never seen a roller crusher in action, so I’m not familiar with what they’re capable of.

Thanks for any help!

Are you processing tonnage or just a few buckets?

Google "rolls crusher for sale" and open the site named Roll crusher for sale - 911 metallurgist. Just a few lines down pretty much gives you your answer to particle sizing achievements, etc.

Just my opinion but....an impact mill of some type could help you achieve your end use particle sizing without using a ball mill at all especially if you are only dealing with a small quantity of feed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Load77

Apr 10, 2021
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small impact crusher, and a hammer mill. But I’m planning on processing tonnage, so I want something more efficient.
Currently I’m hand loading ore into my 8” jaw crusher, then hand feeding that material into my hammer mill. It’s labor intensive and slow.
I’d like to have the material drop straight out of the jaw crusher, into the rollers. Then onto a conveyor to feed my ball mill.
I’m also working on upgrading to a 1 ton/hr ball mill.
I’ll check out the 911 metallurgist.
Thanks for the reply!

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keith Bowen's early HardRock University youtube videos had a roller crusher in them. I can't remember the size of feed in the video. And I can't remember which video I think I watched the first 20 or so. ??? Let me know how it goes I have been thinking about a roller crusher as well.

I have a small impact crusher, and a hammer mill. But I’m planning on processing tonnage, so I want something more efficient.
Currently I’m hand loading ore into my 8” jaw crusher, then hand feeding that material into my hammer mill. It’s labor intensive and slow.
I’d like to have the material drop straight out of the jaw crusher, into the rollers. Then onto a conveyor to feed my ball mill.
Thanks for the reply!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look up "autogenic milling" or "run of mine" grinding. Most operations use some form of autogenic milling. If you are using a ball or rod mill prepare your ore in an autogenic mill before moving the processed result to your ball/rod mill.

Autogenic mills save money and material by using a feed of oversized raw ore as the milling material. No need to introduce metal material in the early stages of crushing. You get a cleaner grind since you don't have to process all the swarf from your grinding media breaking down in your feed. The bigger chunks of raw ore provide the milling force to break down the material to size for your ball/rod mill.

Autogenic mills are really only useful in a nearly continuous operation. If you design your system right you feed raw ore to the Autogenic mill which automatically feeds your ball/rod mill properly sized material at a continuous rate.

Heavy Pans

utahvikingr

Nov 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply!

Hey man, so we use roller crushers at my lab... we don’t like them. They are more dangerous than anything. They’ll spit ore shrapnel all over the place. You’d be better off with a large impact mill

911Met

Feb 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see this image for crusher reduction ratios
rock crushers.png
All about rock crusher and more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread