hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Buckley, Flintshire, North Wales.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roman brooch 'find' in North Wales, UK.

Hi, its been some time since my last post. In fact since then I've changed my Garrett Ace 250 for a C-Scope R1. My latest detecting trip was last Sunday, when two friends & I visited our favourite detecting town of Ruthin, in Denbighshire, North Wales. Between us we found several coins dating back more than 200yrs...but my best find was an old Roman brooch dating to around 100 AD. Its in reasonable condition considering its made from copper-alloy and is close to 2000 years old. Its approx 25mm x 19mm, and weighs in at just over 7grams. Its not much to look at, but I can't help but find it interesting...if only because of its age!

Attachments

• frontal view.jpg
    frontal view.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 525
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Roman brooch 'find' in North Wales, UK.

Well Done, I'm sure there will be more in that field :icon_thumright:

As you say 1st C AD. Most closely aligned to the 'Polden Hill' type.

How do you find the C-Scope, I could never get on with them. Save up for an XP, its the best machine I've ever had. It will increase your hammered finds. Last year Dad & I had 45 hammered in total using the Cortes. This year I'm on 69 already & Dad on 20 (we detect side-by-side all the time).

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would like to see some kind of chart posted that would give examples of Roman and any other early coins from England. We here in the USA are not at all familiar with those coins and that's why you guys don't get many responses on your finds. I would love to find anything that old but about all we have is American Indian artifacts. But you guys over there are a real treat to have with us on Tnet. I really enjoy a different perspective on many things when you post. Monty

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI

Looks like a bust portrait with the head missing, you can see a chain or clothing line in a v shape. Very cool

Keep diggin that field, if you found the head you may be able to identify it.

Cool find

Cheers Sasnz

OP
OP
hodge

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Buckley, Flintshire, North Wales.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For Monty (but others may be interested), you might find relevant information at the following address : www.ukdfd.co.uk
This is the 'UK detector finds database' web site. In this instance if you search "Polden Hill Brooch" then you'll see numerous examples of finds similar to mine. In addition you'll find info on all manner of other artefacts & coins found in the British Isles. Hope this is of interest....
Cheers,
hodge

Fuzzbg

Jan 7, 2014
Usually in a field !
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
C-Scope CS 660
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see some kind of chart posted that would give examples of Roman and any other early coins from England. We here in the USA are not at all familiar with those coins and that's why you guys don't get many responses on your finds. I would love to find anything that old but about all we have is American Indian artifacts. But you guys over there are a real treat to have with us on Tnet. I really enjoy a different perspective on many things when you post. Monty

Old post Monty, but something like this ????

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/397758-roman-emporers-chart.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread