Rope and pulley system for buckets?

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I've been doing a lot of research and I found some photos from the 1930's for my area. It appears as though they were actually using a pulley system to move buckets of material off the hillside. I've been wondering about this, since it seems to me the best gold is up there. I'm not really sure why everyone mines in the river...maybe since it's easy? Anyways, I have a friend coming for the weekend and I thought it would be really fun to build a pulley system to move dirt down to the river. I was thinking one of us would fill buckets while the other fed the sluice. Obviously, this is not a simple endeavor and I don't even know if there's a crazy law about it, but who knows anymore. Anyways, do you guys think it's possible and/or worthwhile? I'm guessing it would take a lot more work than if I were to just carry the buckets of dirt, but that's not as fun. pulley.png

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another reason why they outlawed hydraulic mining...too much foreign material entering the watershed.

Hydraulic mining has never been outlawed Bob. Check out the current and long time law in California that specifically states that hydraulic mining is legal:
CALIFORNIA PUBLIC RESOURCES CODE
SECTION 3980-3985

3981. The business of hydraulic mining may be carried on within the
state wherever and whenever it can be carried on without material
injury to navigable streams or the lands adjacent thereto.

3982. "Hydraulic mining," as used in Section 3981, is mining by
means of the application of water, under pressure, through a nozzle,
against a natural bank.

There's a long history of fake news about mining on the left coast, I'm just surprised you are getting this propaganda in Idaho too.

There is more hydraulic mining regulation on the American and San Joaquin Rivers in California than elsewhere in the west. If you want to learn more about the current regulations governing hydraulic mining along those rivers you should look into the California Debris Commission. Otherwise the law posted above pretty much says it all about the "outlawing" of hydraulic mining. Hydraulic mining in the west never stopped.

Heavy Pans

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where's my old monitor. [emoji78]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread